75192 - UCS: Millennium Falcon 2017

chinothegeeko

When will you buy your first 75192 UCS Falcon?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. When will you buy your first 75192 UCS Falcon?

• First day VIP early access purchase.
    • 2x VIP promo in October 2017.
    • Wait for discount of between 10%-19%.
    • Wait for discount between 20%-29%.
    • Wait for discount of at least 30%.
    • Wait until it shows solid signs of retiring.
    • No plans to buy this set.

If this set retires in a year, then it is a whole new ballgame.  Do you really think LEGO went through all this trouble for a one year release with the new Han Solo movie coming out?  LOL

It doesn't quite make sense to me either. But, they got everything else correct. That's why I'm asking what everyone else thinks.

48 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

First Impressions....

• Love the box...Classic black.  Red orange planet looks awesome.  Font is professional and worthy of the UCS title
  • Limit 5...They have plenty to sell and this will be around for awhile
  • Minifigures...I wish they had Luke, R2 and Obi-Wan thrown in, but it is an obvious hint to another future EMPIRE STRIKES BACK set
  • Ship...Very nice upgrade over the 10179.  As expected, some minor, but appreciated inner details, but more than enough to satisfy me.  The two dishes are a great option.
  • Effect on the 10179...Short term...BIG HIT...Long term...Not so much.  The two sets are different enough that there will be collectors in the future that want the 10179, especially the First Edition.  No special edition of this set hurts it IMO.  That was a home run collectible set.  Now, it's just one of many others which could be around for a long time.
  • Price point...I like it...Keeps the dilettantes away.
  • Overall. I'm not happy with any remake, but if you are going to do it, do it right.  LEGO did it right.  

I'm picking up what you're laying down here.  If they come through with a big Cloud City everything else is just gravy.  

10 minutes ago, CNH1974 said:

So given all the negativity on 10179. Could a few months time actually be a good time to buy some 10179 and grab yourself some bargains?
Could be a risky strategy and many will say, don't do it, but as a long term investment.......

Good luck with that (don't do it) - There is going to be an ever increasing number of sellers (with very few buyers) for a very very long time (how many people will keep 2 UCS Falcons, and how many will choose to have the old one over the new one?)

I could see the price point going down to where some sellers would look at it as swapping out their 10179's for the new model.

Edited by KShine

3 minutes ago, CNH1974 said:

So given all the negativity on 10179. Could a few months time actually be a good time to buy some 10179 and grab yourself some bargains?
Could be a risky strategy and many will say, don't do it, but as a long term investment.......

I would place a wager that at some point, a MISB First Edition 10179 bought at the right price will be a better investment than this set.  Let's clarify my stance on this....I am not saying the 10179 will see stratospheric levels one day.  Those days are long gone.  But a buying opportunity will arise from these 10179s hitting the marketplaces.  The 10179 is an all time iconic set that is limited in number and will be worthy collectible to many hardcore STAR WARS fans.  With this set...who knows?  It's a kick ass set, no doubt, but that might not make is a worthy investment as we all know.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KShine said:

No so much? Sorry, but unless by long term you are talking post apocalypse - you are being extremely generous with your optimism.

These are some very sad times for LEGO investors.

IMO these are sad times for collectors which in turn hurts the investors.  There are multiple reasons people collect things.  For most exclusivity, limited in number, and value EOL play a huge factor in what they collect.  Remakes such as this one are wonderful for the company making them because the original was out of reach for those that missed the initial company offering. The company is capitalizing on the demand of an iconic product as they should in the interest of being a successful and great company.  The value of an item collectors once coveted will plummet with a new and better model available on the market.  It will take years to sort that out and see how the two stack up to each other in collectibility.  10179 is now much less a collectors item for SW fans and we will now have to wait and see if it is collectible for Lego fans down the road.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BRIX23 said:

IMO these are sad times for collectors which in turn hurts the investors.  There are multiple reasons people collect things.  For most exclusivity, limited in number, and value EOL play a huge factor in what they collect.  Remakes such as this one are wonderful for the company making them because the original was out of reach for those that missed the initial company offering. The company is capitalizing on the demand of an iconic product as they should in the interest of being a successful and great company.  The value of an item collectors once coveted will plummet with a new and better model available on the market.  It will take years to sort that out and see how the two stack up to each other in collectibility.  10179 is now much less a collectors item for SW fans and we will now have to wait and see if it is collectible for Lego fans down the road.  

LEGO has killed "Special" - and it will never be coming back again.

People can try blaming websites, resellers, and the fakes - but none of these things could even come close to what LEGO has done to themselves. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BRIX23 said:

This set is a big risk for LEGO as well...and a test.  We will see how many people walk the walk and dish out $800.00 for this set.  That's no chump change.  People on forums like to say all sorts of things, but when are person has to answer to a husband or wife about why they need to pay a car payment or mortgage instead of buying a toy, things can change.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KShine said:

People can try blaming websites, resellers, and the fakes - but none of these things could even come close to what LEGO has done to themselves. 

Yep...I agree.  There will be a new Falcon in 10 years.  The recent remakes are the worst thing that LEGO could have done.  There are so many other options, yet they are taking the path of quick cash.  

This set is beautiful. At least everyone will be able to get one. If they can afford the price tag. Vip early release can't get here soon enough. I wonder if force Friday star wars sets sales will take a hit now with everyone saving up for this. I know I wont be buying anything until I get this first......With exception of old fishing store because that set is amazing too. 

• Like 1

These updated re-releases are the best thing to happy to the hobby.  They are enabling fans who passed on sets earlier to get back in... they are enabling updates with new building techniques...  and they are taking the hot air out of "investing".  

Of course the new prices points are a bit tough at times, but as long as the sets move forward.. I'm cool with it.  (tho I did just buy an original 10188 as a gift for a friend instead of the new one..).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KShine said:

I still get that 'special' feeling when building my sets and exploring what the designers have created.  If speculation was the only thing 'special' about Lego to you..  *shutter*

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BRIX23 said:

I hear what you're saying and mostly agree, and I think that's because many look at Lego as a functional utilitarian model, versus a collector's item in and of itself.

Star Wars action figures from 1978 are laughable in quality compared to the versions produced today. Yet that doesn't mean people don't want the originals.

Most of them aren't even that particularly rare. They were produced in the millions and hundreds of thousands still exist.

People appreciate them for the nostalgic value they possess and how they remind people of their youth.

If Lego sets can generate that feeling, (and I think they can) then older 'less accurate' versions could still maintain great value in the future.

One factor weighing against older less accurate versions of ANYTHING is the fact that collectors cannot collect everything anymore.

There used to be guides that had every star wars collectible ever produced. That's not even remotely a sane concept anymore.

If people have to pick and choose vs being "completists" than they're more likely to upgrade to something better over something older, especially if there isn't extremely strong nostalgia to tip the scales.

Factor in the size of this thing and the obstacles to actually displaying either, nevermind both.........I think the original is going to have an extremely niche market going fwd. Even more so than before.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Yep...I agree.  There will be a new Falcon in 10 years.  The recent remakes are the worst thing that LEGO could have done.  There are so many other options, yet they are taking the path of quick cash.  

Or the best, if you're Lego or a Star Wars fan that missed the originals.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

A lot of old and new LEGO fans will be able to "afford" this set "thinking" that they'll be able to sell it on at a profit, not realising that there'll be massive competition, high scam risk and likely disappointment ahead. I will buy 3 immediately (I'll set my alarm for 23:59 the day before) for the reasons mentioned earlier.

I can honestly see this selling out within the first hour, let alone the first day. If LEGO are struggling to distribute 21309, they've seen nothing yet.

I wonder if a lot of 10179 buyers will now start returning their sets knowing that this newer/cheaper/better one is available soon. I'd hate to be a recent 10179 seller right now. 75192 wasn't common knowledge outside LEGO forum circles.

I am sure this will be an unpopular opinion. But damn, I am REALLY disappointed! $800 for a sticker sheet and NO lights. No certificates. No signatures. No first run. Nothing. Cmon Lego all this hype, for this? Seriously? The included minifigures, (for a display model !) are only good to bring the price down. Maybe it will grow on me, but for now, not pleased with it. It is far from a decade of improvements! But on a positive note at least I don't have to worry about how to afford it!

• Like 3

haha, for $800USD, $900CAD, this is a joke, look at how much floorspace that will take up. You are better off punching in a $900USD bid on this baby

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flash-123-CGC-6-0-FN-DC-1961-1st-Earth-2-1st-***-Flash-Origin-Flash/192289759645?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Wait for the Justice League movie to come out, hold a few years, and unload it for $1500. And all you need is like a 1 inch space on your bookshelf.

10 minutes ago, flynnibus said:

These updated re-releases are the best thing to happy to the hobby.  They are enabling fans who passed on sets earlier to get back in... they are enabling updates with new building techniques...  and they are taking the hot air out of "investing".  

Of course the new prices points are a bit tough at times, but as long as the sets move forward.. I'm cool with it.  (tho I did just buy an original 10188 as a gift for a friend instead of the new one..).

Maybe...maybe not.  We will see how many people will pay $800.00 for a box of plastic that doesn't appreciate.  The LEGO secondary markets have help prop up the primary market for years.  Before there was eBay and resellers, LEGO was in the red.  Now people know there is value to LEGO sets.  What happens if there is no value and they are looked at as boxes of plastic?  There was a perceived value to LEGO sets that made it easier to pay premium prices for a bunch of ABS plastic.  What happens if that perceived value diminishes?  Do people move on to more cost effective options?  If The LEGO Group starts losing money, do they cut back on new ideas and sets?  It's complicated...

• Like 2

The limit 3 in the UK vs limit 5 in the US makes me suspect that there will be a supply issue. I might just buy one immediately, that way if it turns out not to be supply-limited I'm not left with £1300 of paperweights for the next 3 years. If it does sell out, a quick flip on Gumtree or something for cash or Paypal F & F only should be doable.

1 minute ago, Captain_chaos said:

The limit 3 in the UK vs limit 5 in the US makes me suspect that there will be a supply issue. I might just buy one immediately, that way if it turns out not to be supply-limited I'm not left with £1300 of paperweights for the next 3 years. If it does sell out, a quick flip on Gumtree or something for cash or Paypal F & F only should be doable.

There is ALWAYS a supply issue.  LOL

2 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

Only way you make money on this is if you flip it in the first month or maybe during X'mas. Don't get caught bag holding this. Bet you will get a nice deal on this next June.

hi community!

i am a total LEGO n00b, but i am buying this. $800 and all.

not as an investment, not to flip, but to build and play with as a die-hard Star Wars fan who is in the right place in my life to afford and indulge in this. and it definitely will impact my interest in the other sets to a certain extent. i will probably pass on the new star destroyer now in favor of buying this instead (or certainly put off any TLJ purchases until 2018).

can't underestimate who might come out of the woodwork for something like this, i don't think.  : D

• Like 3