Sellers protection in online markets

QuiGon

Hey all! I'm looking for some advice on the best online marketplace to sell custom lego models, and how to best protect myself against fraud as a seller. I'm an experienced builder and have constructed my own scale Star Wars Venator model I'm confident I can turn a profit on, but I have no experience in selling custom models online. I was thinking I would use eBay because of the traffic it gets, but then after reading their buyer protection policies, it occurred to me that all a buyer would have to do would be remove part of the model and claim it shipped incomplete, and they would get their money back and I'd receive back an incomplete model.

I know there's no way to find a 100% safe method of selling online, but does anyone have suggestions on what online market is best, and what to do to ensure. I don't lose my money or my model? Thanks for your help!

QuiGon

What type of prices would you be charging for your models?  

Overall, shipping insurance would probably cover a certain amount of issues so that it's not a total loss.  Documenting the way it was packaged before sending would be good just in case an issue does arise.  The market places themselves really don't matter much. If you sold on Bricklink or Brickowl, not much is there to help you, only the FedEx/UPS insurance to file a claim.  

I am not sure how much eBay/Paypal protects, but here is a link about seller protection on eBay (http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/seller-protection/Index.html)

Hey all! I'm looking for some advice on the best online marketplace to sell custom lego models, and how to best protect myself against fraud as a seller. I'm an experienced builder and have constructed my own scale Star Wars Venator model I'm confident I can turn a profit on, but I have no experience in selling custom models online. I was thinking I would use eBay because of the traffic it gets, but then after reading their buyer protection policies, it occurred to me that all a buyer would have to do would be remove part of the model and claim it shipped incomplete, and they would get their money back and I'd receive back an incomplete model.

I know there's no way to find a 100% safe method of selling online, but does anyone have suggestions on what online market is best, and what to do to ensure. I don't lose my money or my model? Thanks for your help!

QuiGon

Well, first, you can't legally sell it as a Star Wars Venator model (using those words or any Star Wars recognizable logo, etc.) Calling it a "Cool Custom Space Ship" is moderately safe, but the rights holder can still come after you if it's a clearly recognizable item from their universe.

People break trademark laws pretty much continually on eBay, some on Amazon, and everywhere else online and off (including the guy selling Tweety Bird knockoff blankets on the side of the road). That doesn't make it legal, and it doesn't mean you're safe from lawsuit if they decide to make an example of ya.

That out of the way, whatever you sell online or off there are risks. I have been selling on eBay since December 1997, I don't even know how many transactions but it's thousands per year on average, and I can count the number of people who have actually tried or succeeded in scamming me on two hands with fingers left over.

It's not a big risk.

But on Ebay, buyers may not even try scamming because they know there's a system set up to prevent it.

justafrog, what do you tell people who try to offer you a deal "outside of ebay?"  I flat tell them no, because I know that they can claim they never received the item.  Is paypal enough protection when you have a tracking number?

But on Ebay, buyers may not even try scamming because they know there's a system set up to prevent it.

justafrog, what do you tell people who try to offer you a deal "outside of ebay?"  I flat tell them no, because I know that they can claim they never received the item.  Is paypal enough protection when you have a tracking number?

If they contact me through eBay, I tell them no. If you accept such a deal through eBay messages, eBay can and often does slap the snot out of you for fee avoidance.

And, in the interests of fair play from my point of view, if the buyer found me on eBay, eBay deserves their fees for that transaction.

When you sell outside eBay but through PayPal, you're protected by PayPal if you follow their rules (for example, I get PayPal seller protection for all the Bricklink orders I do.)

Well, first, you can't legally sell it as a Star Wars Venator model (using those words or any Star Wars recognizable logo, etc.) Calling it a "Cool Custom Space Ship" is moderately safe, but the rights holder can still come after you if it's a clearly recognizable item from their universe.

People break trademark laws pretty much continually on eBay, some on Amazon, and everywhere else online and off (including the guy selling Tweety Bird knockoff blankets on the side of the road). That doesn't make it legal, and it doesn't mean you're safe from lawsuit if they decide to make an example of ya.

That out of the way, whatever you sell online or off there are risks. I have been selling on eBay since December 1997, I don't even know how many transactions but it's thousands per year on average, and I can count the number of people who have actually tried or succeeded in scamming me on two hands with fingers left over.

It's not a big risk.

In the Netherlands we would phrase it as:

"I can count the number of people who have actually tried or succeeded in scamming me on a lumberjack's hand".

• Like 1

Paypal requirement is now $750 as of yesterday.

Link? The PP Seller Protection Page I'm looking at still says $250

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection-learn-more

Edit: Nevermind, found it here:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

Thanks for the update! I had not heard, good news.

Celes, signature confirmation is a specific USPS product here in the US. I'm not sure what options you'll have shipping out of Mexico.

Thanks for answering, I was searching for information and I think my only options are UPS, Fedex and propably DHL. So, I guess the new Paypal requirement is a blessing.

QuiGon

Do you have a picture of one of these "cool custom models"?  It would like to see it.  

Fear mongering.

I have never, not once, in 16 1/2 years selling online, much of that full time, had a single chargeback on PayPal.

Do they happen? Sure. Often? Nope. 

And, there is no credit card processing company, PayPal included, where you are immune from chargebacks. That's part of the protection given to credit and debit card users by Visa, Mastercard, etc.

Right with you - never seen one on Ebay and never had an issue. They happen, but not very often at all.