Selling used sets

I'm piecing together my 6286 set (Skull's Eye Schooner) that I bought nearly complete. I've taken it apart, cleaned it, inventoried it, and have purchased the seven small pieces needed to complete it.

Now, when I list this on Ebay, do I:

1. Rebuild the set, take pictures and list it, then

a: take it back apart to ship

b: ship as a built set

2. Don't rebuild the set, and use stock pictures, and ship in pieces

I don't have instructions. Is it worth the cost of purchasing instructions, simply in order to sell "with instructions"?

It's a pretty cool set and I may just end up keeping it, making all of these questions a waste of time. :sweat:

Rebuild the set and take 12 very good pictures from different angles.

Take the ship apart and put in zip lock bags.

Look at sold listings on eBay and chose a good Buy It Now price based on past sales.

Once it sells put in a good box and ship.

In most cases when I don't have instructions I use ones found online and state that my buyer should do the same.

• Like 3

If you have no box yet then shipping will be between 9.50 (1-2lb priority) and 11.xx (medium flat rate) so you can use that for pricing.

Definitely build it, photograph it, take it apart and make some money. No need to buy instructions.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Brickpicker mobile app

Rebuild the set and take 12 very good pictures from different angles.

Take the ship apart and put in zip lock bags.

Look at sold listings on eBay and chose a good Buy It Now price based on past sales.

Once it sells put in a good box and ship.

In most cases when I don't have instructions I use ones found online and state that my buyer should do the same.

Bingo. This is exactly how I sell used sets, except i purchase instructions from bricklink if they are missing or in terrible shape, assuming they aren't crazy expensive. $35 for instructions is too much. In that case I suggest peeron or brickowl in my listings for free PDF downloads. If the box is missing, then I state "sorry, no box" in my listing.

I'm piecing together my 6286 set (Skull's Eye Schooner) that I bought nearly complete. I've taken it apart, cleaned it, inventoried it, and have purchased the seven small pieces needed to complete it.

Now, when I list this on Ebay, do I:

1. Rebuild the set, take pictures and list it, then

a: take it back apart to ship

b: ship as a built set

2. Don't rebuild the set, and use stock pictures, and ship in pieces

I don't have instructions. Is it worth the cost of purchasing instructions, simply in order to sell "with instructions"?

It's a pretty cool set and I may just end up keeping it, making all of these questions a waste of time. :sweat:

Don't ship as a built set:

a: the buyer won't get to built the set from scratch

b: it's probably harder and more expensive