buyer says package was opened through shipping

ugh....

buyer purchased polybag from me... I shipped first class postage in envelope taped the heck out of it with packing tape....

buyer says: "Post office received the item damaged. The package is tore open through the envelop. I have pictures fom as soon as it arrived. Please advise on how you would like to proceed."

fyi... buyer was super late on payment and I had to ask him to make payment even after ebay had sent him non paying bidder notices...

what do you guys recommend I do?

ask to ship back to me?

ask him to pay for me to ship him new one?

or just ship him new one and let him know its' the only one i'm going to ship again.

I'm fine with either of these but I just don't want to be getting taken advantage of....

thanks guys....

If his post office received the item damaged, they will have provided him with a document saying, in official language, "We're soooooorrrrrrry our machine devoured your stuff, k?"

If he produces photos of the damaged package and the note from the post office, I'd refund or replace without a murmur. If he can't, I'd ask him to return the item for a full refund.

Did you ship first class PACKAGE or first class LETTER?

If letter, don't ever do that again - it's for letters, not little bits of plastic, and the machinery your "letter" goes through in the sorting process can destroy tungsten steel, much less innocent little bricks or figs.

If package, how much padding did you use, and was this a poly bubble mailer or a paper mailer (bubble or otherwise)? I have switched entirely to the poly mailers, they are much harder for the post office to mangle to the point of tearing.

• Like 1

Yeah, Justafrog is correct as usual. Parcels marked "letter" are put through a pressing machine which flattens out the envelopes so that they take up less space. On occasion, the Post Office might save the envelope and send it back to you (which happened to me when I tried to send a minifigure with a Forever stamp on the envelope). If they are a bit more careless, they wouldn't bother and put it right through.