calculated shipping cost above $250

knarrff

I would like to list a new 4842, for above $250. This means I have to require signature confirmation. When I now create my listing and have ebay calculate the shipping cost (since it can vary quite a bit depending on the buyer) I have no way to actually specify this. Is is automatically taken into account (since I only accept paypal and this is their own requirement)? Or should I expect to pay the additional cost of the signature myself later when someone bought the set? In the latter case: how much should I expect the cost to be, options are USPS, UPS and/or Fedex? The calculated Fedex costs for example seem to be too low to include signature confirmation already, but nothing on the ebay site tells me this, or how much the addition would be.

How do you usually handle this? Thanks.

The cost of requiring a signer is about $3 and it is an add on (not included with shipping)

Basically you are looking at 1% less profit. If this concerns you, add $5 to your base listing price to cover it. For example, instead of selling for $280+ shipping you would sell for $285+

You don't have to advertise it on your listing either so the buyer will only know when you upload tracking.

You can always use USPS/FedEx sites to do a test of shipping costs. Before I list an item, I estimate the maximum cost of continental shipping based on the box size and mass (I use WA to NY). You can add features on the respective websites to get an accurate price.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Brickpicker mobile app

• Like 1

Having dealt with shipping numerous Lego sets and Lionel trains exceeding $250 in price, I have always just seen the insurance and signature confirmation costs simply as "the cost of doing business".  Both are there to protect you the seller.  A small amount to pay for the peace of mind.  As others have said, you can factor the costs into the amount you are willing to accept for the item.