Grand Emporium buy or leave?

Hi guys,

I'm new here and new to the world of investing in Lego. I've been looking more at trying to flip certain sets just to start my hobby off but no luck so far.

I'm able to get a Grand Emporium for

Sounds like I've gained a steal here. I get 25% staff discount in my store, so I've got access to plenty. Just don't want to buy too many in case they suspect I'm planning on profiting with them...

Sounds like I've gained a steal here. I get 25% staff discount in my store, so I've got access to plenty. Just don't want to buy too many in case they suspect I'm planning on profiting with them...

I would NOT buy as many as you from the store that you work at. 25% is a good deal for the set, but it is not worth getting fired for. If I were you, I would get three of the sets to invest in. Any amount higher than 5 would set off red flags.

Waitrose. Just noticed they sell the palace cinema. Is it worth investing in this over the GE?

I guess it's only a worthwhile discount on sets like the modulars rather than any Superhero/SW/LOTR themes?

For investment purposes, it's nearly always safer to assume that retired sets will appreciate in value faster than sets that are still in production.  So if you have the choice between two similar sets, one about to retire and one that is newly released, it is almost always better to buy the set that is about to retire.

The exceptions generally revolve around comparing two products from different themes.  An example of an exception that would apply right now, would be comparing a brand new Star Wars set is to an about to retire Chima set -- as Chima has not done well (yet) for investors, thus buying the new Star Wars set would be a better choice.  The only exception I know of when comparing New set and Older set, in the same theme & sub-theme, is when it looks like the demand for the new set may out pace it's availability and it will become temporarily scarce -- example: Architecture Studio, new set, limited supply was much better to purchase and flip than older sets about to retire -- at least, until the AS production caught up with demand and the resale price suddenly dropped through the floor, then it went back to it being better to buy older sets that are retired, or about to retire.

Guest davewager78

If you get 25% off all Lego sold by your store, buy one of each of the big sets recommended on Brickpicker. That way if anyone challenges you, you can say you bought them for yourself to build. Getting fired means no money to buy Lego. And food etc