To unload or not to unload, that is the question......

I guess buying at the right time is a piece of cake, whenever they are close to EOL or they are way to cheap to let them pass you can't go wrong with that strategy, but WHEN to SELL is the question I have now.....

I have a few sets that are probably in their prime or past their prime and I have not focused enough to make my profit on those and reinvest.  So here is my question.

Which of these sets that I consider Matured , would you SELL and which would you HOLD ?? 

By the way all new in sealed boxes.....

4842 HP The Burrows   (4 Sets)

10217 HP Diagon Alley (2 Sets)  and the crown jewel.....

10182 Corner Cafe

What would you do???

One thing to always consider is how much you expect your existing sets to grow. And then to compare that expected growth to what you can earn on a different set using the money of those existing sets.

Also, keep in check how many of the sets are on sale and how many you are considering to unload to not overload the market

I would sell all of them, then buy a USED cafe corner, there is several hundred dollars difference between a used vs MISB Cafe corner, but if youre planning to use ebay or similar site it will eat up most of that profit so just open the one you have. The HP i would also sell and reinvest into more lego sets near retirement, like someone else said GE would be a good choice, LOTR have been popular, i think the Kingdoms joust will fetch a healthy profit once retired, there are plenty of options out there.

I guess buying at the right time is a piece of cake, whenever they are close to EOL or they are way to cheap to let them pass you can't go wrong with that strategy, but WHEN to SELL is the question I have now.....

I have a few sets that are probably in their prime or past their prime and I have not focused enough to make my profit on those and reinvest.  So here is my question.

Which of these sets that I consider Matured , would you SELL and which would you HOLD ?? 

By the way all new in sealed boxes.....

4842 HP The Burrows   (4 Sets)

10217 HP Diagon Alley (2 Sets)  and the crown jewel.....

10182 Corner Cafe

What would you do???

4842 HP The Burrows   (4 Sets) - Sell

10217 HP Diagon Alley (2 Sets) - Hold

10182 Corner Caf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello everyone, I've only been using this site for about a week and I'm loving all of the insights from the experts here but I can't find a comprehensive guide anywhere for when I should sell sets. 

I understand that a set should start accruing value after its retired and that the best deals for buying can be found right before its EOL, but is there some formula people use to best time when to sell their sets?

What's your best practice for timing your sales?

Thanks!

if it was me, i'd send the cafe corner to myself, then i'd sell the others to buy grand emporiums or curiosity rovers

Sell the mint condition set and buy a used one off ebay, keep the several hundred dollar difference. And yes i would unload all of those sets, they are icnreasing in value but slow, you could use the cash and reinvest in something that will double in 1-2 years, ass opposed to those sets which might only go up 10% per year at best.

• 2 weeks later...