Anyone have the New Fire TV Yet?

DoNotInsertIntoMouth

How does it work with external media (passports, thumb drives, NAS, etc)?  Does it support a wide array of formats (.wmv, quicktime, .avi, .mkv, .m4v, etc)?

I've used a Western Digital WD Live for several years.

I also would like to know the answer to this question.  Most reviews I've read only talk about all the streaming option and I don't care about those outside of Prime and Netflix, maybe Rev3.

I built an HTPC so that I could play absolutely everything, including just going on the various TV stations' websites and just streaming straight from there

I have several friends who love their Intel NUCs and media portals they've customized.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-D34010WYK-DisplayPort-i3-4010U-Consumer/dp/B00F3F381A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397843806&sr=8-2&keywords=nuc

I built an HTPC so that I could play absolutely everything, including just going on the various TV stations' websites and just streaming straight from there

And I've considered that, but we're talking about $100 vs $3-400, plus I have to monkey with it and play tech support for it when it craps out on my wife.  I have a WDTV and it does almost everything I want it to do, I just wish it was faster.

I did a couple quick searches and it appears the Kindle Fire does support some external media or thumb drives, but will only play video in .mp4 format.  Everything would need to be converted.

I do play all of my Amazon Prime stuff through the XBox or my Blu-Ray player.  WDTV doesn't support Amazon Prime, or vice versa.  I doubt Amazon will support WDTV, since they want to push their devices.  I'm like one of the few people left on the planet who has never had a Netflix account.

I did a couple quick searches and it appears the Kindle Fire does support some external media or thumb drives, but will only play video in .mp4 format.  Everything would need to be converted.

From what I see there isn't support for non-kindle fire streaming yet or jump drives, etc. but that may be in the future. If it had that I would have already bought it.

Honestly I still may anyway.