My Amazon Gold Box - Deal or No Deal?

I thought it would be helpful to have a thread for everyone to share their gold box deals and receive buying advice from the BP community. This should help keep some of the noise out of the daily deal threads. I understand the gold box system isn't that predictable, but at least this can provide a central place for everyone to see the variety of deals that pop up.

I'll get things started.

Blackgate $42.74 (29% off) - Deal or No Deal?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've never seen that much LEGO in my Goldbox.

Personally, I'd pickup Dragon Mountain just because I wish I had more of these so 24% off would be enough for me to pull the trigger.  Gold getaway isn't bad at 30% off if you want one to build or need to complete your Castle collection.  These were found at Walmart clearance for 30% everywhere so an average investment, at best.  That being said, I have a handful because I bought these before I became more educated on investing.

I always like LOTR/Hobbit at 30% off, so Council of Elrond and Dol Guldur ambush aren't bad deals.  I'd probably pass right now though because I'm spending so much money on 2x VIP Exclusives.

LEGO Super Heroes Spider-Cycle Chase 76004

In my Gold Box for $13.99.

What do you all think? Deal or no deal?

I would pass but that's because I have too many and I fear people have hoarded these since they dipped to around $12 several times in Jan/Feb.  Unless you want one to keep or build for personal use AND you can get free shipping from Amazon (prime or > $35), I would look elsewhere.

I think the Spider-Cycle chase set is going to be a slow gainer post retirement.  So many people have multiples of this that they got at 40-50% off, the Juniors set has Venom, Spidey is in so many sets with no costume variation, and it hasn't disappeared overnight like the Wolverine Chopper did.  I would pass at that price unless it's for your personal collection.

• 4 weeks later...

I found that the gold box usually only gives you about 5% more off what the regular deal is. So, 5% off retail price is really not a lot of advantage over the lego shop, assuming no difference in tax. Pretty disappointing most of the time - unless some set already has a nice deal on Amazon anyway and you get 5% more through the gold box.

• Like 1

Then the question is: can you wait for another double-VIP event, which would be another 5%? But of course, the difference of 2% is not really a lot anyway. If I were to choose, I would not buy. I got the R2 today, for 5% off too - not worth it really. Call be sentimental, but I rather get my Lego from lego.com if everything else is (almost) the same, and I don't buy in bulk anyway.

Buying at lego.com has the additional benefit that you can order small quantities of bricks from "Pick a brick" essentially without shipping (when piggy-backed). The brick-prices are usually higher than bricklink and co, but free shipping can beat these on small orders. But that of course only applies if you actually want a few bricks.

• 9 months later...