9499 - Gungan Sub

nickguay

I finished watching the entire Star Wars saga with my son and his favorite movie of them all is Episode 1 and he loved Jar Jar Binks! As far as I can tell the only set right now in print with Jar Jar is the gungan sub and it seems to almost be out of print? There are no new sets scheduled in 2014 that will have him either, correct?

His next favorite film was episode 4 and he is very excited for the cantina coming out this summer as well as the more affordable star destroyer coming out as well and so am I lol

Anyhow, I just wanted to get everyone's thought on this... I'm thinking that the more affordable approach would be to just order him the one minifig... although Qui-gon, young obi-wan and the queen and the sub itself are all pretty cool :)

you can get Gundam sub at chapters Indigo for 20% off now if you really need/want it. of course it's been cheaper before at Sears and other retailers. for investment purposes I don't think this set is hot at all... but to build/collect is another story. I only have 2 in my inventory, the Queen is the most valuable fig for sure.

• Like 1

If your kid doesn't care about queen amidala, then sell her on ebay, she has a great value (about 30$) so overall it will be a great discount for this set and your kid will still have the vessel and jar jar.

edit: BTW if I'm right queen amidala doesn't fit inside the vehicule (large dress) so it's another reason to get rid off her (gently 'cause we're talking about a lady, m'kay ?)

• Like 1

The price point for the Gungan Sub 9499 was the problem. But the spaceship design is beautiful and the color are great too. Also, the minifig detail are great either. I buy this set because I like to look at it, even if for investment it's not gonna be a winner, unless if you're patient and wait couple of years...

• Like 1

The price point for the Gungan Sub 9499 was the problem. But the spaceship design is beautiful and the color are great too. Also, the minifig detail are great either. I buy this set because I like to look at it, even if for investment it's not gonna be a winner, unless if you're patient and wait couple of years...

Thanks for your input Mario and welcome to brickpicker; I won't regret the purchase I'm sure :)

If your kid doesn't care about queen amidala, then sell her on ebay, she has a great value (about 30$) so overall it will be a great discount for this set and your kid will still have the vessel and jar jar.

edit: BTW if I'm right queen amidala doesn't fit inside the vehicule (large dress) so it's another reason to get rid off her (gently 'cause we're talking about a lady, m'kay ?)

I have a daughter as well and she loves princess Leia! I doubt she will let me get rid of her mom Queen Amidala :)

• Like 1

Just buy the fig if that's what he really wants. 

He's also really into fish and the ocean and needless to say that scene really impressed him in the movie so I think it will be a big hit with him:)

PS: our other hobby is reef keeping and fish keeping 

I finished watching the entire Star Wars saga with my son and his favorite movie of them all is Episode 1 and he loved Jar Jar Binks! As far as I can tell the only set right now in print with Jar Jar is the gungan sub and it seems to almost be out of print? There are no new sets scheduled in 2014 that will have him either, correct?

His next favorite film was episode 4 and he is very excited for the cantina coming out this summer as well as the more affordable star destroyer coming out as well and so am I lol

Anyhow, I just wanted to get everyone's thought on this... I'm thinking that the more affordable approach would be to just order him the one minifig... although Qui-gon, young obi-wan and the queen and the sub itself are all pretty cool :)

You, sir, have failed in your duties of educating the next generation in all things Star Wars :D

All joking aside, I picked up this set on clearance and it's a nice looking build.  You can still find it under retail prices on bricklink, and I've still seen some on the shelf at stores like kmart.

I don't think it's a good investment unless you got in really cheap, like 50% off or more.  This set is incredibly overpriced at retail.

• Like 2

You, sir, have failed in your duties of educating the next generation in all things Star Wars :D

All joking aside, I picked up this set on clearance and it's a nice looking build.  You can still find it under retail prices on bricklink, and I've still seen some on the shelf at stores like kmart.

I don't think it's a good investment unless you got in really cheap, like 50% off or more.  This set is incredibly overpriced at retail.

Lol, yeah, it just goes to show that George Lucas knew precisely what he was doing when making this film, since my 7 year old son loved Jar Jar Binks and Episode 1 overall. His next favorite is Episode 4 thankfully, which is mine also. His least favorite was Episode 3 and most particularly the last hour or so, the final decline of Anakin to become Darth Vader was quite something to bear for a young kid and my son's words were: I'm so sad for Anakin and how Palpatine tricked him to join the dark side, it's just so sad" I could not agree more, the lesson learned here folks: choose your friends carefully because they can lead you down a very dark path

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

So, I noticed a whole cart full of these (maybe 8 total) at a local Wal-Mart last night.  They were getting ready to clearance them at some point.  I scanned one and it rang up $40.  I was hoping they'd be put out this morning and maybe marked down to $20 or something.  They weren't there this morning, so they'll hit the clearance rack at some point.  I know it sounds like a waste of time, but I might be a buyer at $20 or $25 each.

This Wal-Mart has a clearance rack in the middle of the aisle and they only set out so much at a time.

• 1 year later...