Is this a red flag?

Hi guys,

I'm new to the joys of Lego collecting and have a couple questions.

Question 1: On Ebay and CL I'm seeing a lot of sets for sale that have opened boxes but sealed bags, I don't quite understand this. If you aren;t going to build the set, why decrease the value by opening the box in the first place? Is it possible people are building the sets, then somehow re-sealing the pieces back into their original bags?

Question 2: I realize that MiSB is the way to go as far as re-sale value is concerned, but if I also really enjoy building the sets I buy, does the "used" market still offer the ability to make some decent $$ too? If so, this might be the way I go so I can have my cake and eat it too.

Thanks for any input!

Hi guys,

Question 1: On Ebay and CL I'm seeing a lot of sets for sale that have opened boxes but sealed bags, I don't quite understand this. If you aren;t going to build the set, why decrease the value by opening the box in the first place? Is it possible people are building the sets, then somehow re-sealing the pieces back into their original bags?

Question 2: I realize that MiSB is the way to go as far as re-sale value is concerned, but if I also really enjoy building the sets I buy, does the "used" market still offer the ability to make some decent $$ too? If so, this might be the way I go so I can have my cake and eat it too.

Thanks for any input!

1) Sometimes the seals come loose, & sometimes kids will open it & then decide they don't want to bother doing the work to build it. Resealing the bags would be extremely difficult to pull off - Plus with eBay buyer protection, I couldn't see too many sellers ever risking their accounts to do it.

2) Most people would say to buy 2 sets (1 to open, build, & enjoy) & the other to keep sealed for investment. But if you aren't a serious investor, go ahead & open the set - keep everything (box, instructions, empty bags, etc), & enjoy the set. If/when the set appreciates in value - you will still do fine.

1) Sometimes the seals come loose, & sometimes kids will open it & then decide they don't want to bother doing the work to build it. Resealing the bags would be extremely difficult to pull off - Plus with eBay buyer protection, I couldn't see too many sellers ever risking their accounts to do it.

2) Most people would say to buy 2 sets (1 to open, build, & enjoy) & the other to keep sealed for investment. But if you aren't a serious investor, go ahead & open the set - keep everything (box, instructions, empty bags, etc), & enjoy the set. If/when the set appreciates in value - you will still do fine.

Also on 1) Many people open the sets to sell minifigs separately, so read the details of the listing - it could be that the listing is for new & sealed bags (without minifigs).

I agree with all of the above posts. Sometimes seals get old and dry out and come off. Sometimes people open a box and never build it. As for building as set then reselling it later for a profit, yes, that is a possibility. As stated earlier, if you keep the LEGO box, instructions and bricks in excellent condition, there is an excellent chance the set can be sold for more "used" than it cost at retail years later.

Hi guys,

Thanks for any input!

Oh, another reason people give related to Question 1: The box was opened to verify the contents - Although this seems crazy, it happens an awful lot.

Oh, another reason people give related to Question 1: The box was opened to verify the contents - Although this seems crazy, it happens an awful lot.

It certainly does.

Oh boy does it....

Also on 1) Many people open the sets to sell minifigs separately, so read the details of the listing - it could be that the listing is for new & sealed bags (without minifigs).

This is the one I usually see.