Hello from North Central Washington!

Hi! My name is Mike and even though I signed up a little while ago I just now decided to introduce myself. I'm new to the world of Lego collecting, investment and online auction sites like Ebay. I'm from Wenatchee, WA. I became interested in Legos a few months ago when I was buying blind figure toys to decorate my shelves. One night I was at my local Hastings when I saw they had some Lego Series 9 blind figure packs and decided what the hell, I have never owned Lego as a kid, (too expensive), and didn't know they had blind figure packs. I was astounded when I pulled the heroic knight, the minifig had a lot of pieces and really good detail. When I was a kid in the 80's, if someone had a Lego spaceman that was hot ****.

Anyway I got into collecting the blind figure packs, especialy the Lego Movie ones as those are the ones that are readilly available around here. I almost have a complete set, I just need Gail the construction worker. I have some sets and am interested in learning about Lego investment and Ebay. I've never sold online and would like to research it and have some helpfull pointers so I don't get burned on fees and waste money. Anyway sorry about the rambling post, just excited to share information with like minded people.

Ya don't be like some new people that say "I bought it for $50, Sold it for $75 + Shipping on Ebay so I just made $25." You learn a lot in these first few months.

-I don't always go shopping, but when I do I buy Lego-

FYI for the poster, eBay actually has a fee calculator where you can plug in all the details and find out exactly how much you will make after all applicable fees.

But on the other hand, it can be kind of goofy to use, and you can do far better if you create your own version in Excel using some simple formulas.

• Like 1

Oh wow thanks for the tips! I'm kinda nervous into getting into Ebay, but still researching the best ways to list, sell and ship. I still need to buy packing materials. I'm also dabbling in flipping other toys, such as hot wheels and discontinued items I received through clearance and second hand stores.

Welcome Rootfish, you will find that there are quite a few Washingtonians on here including me.  My best advice is don't start dropping dollars till you know whats going on, (ask me how I know) there is a lot to learn and this site is great for that.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I think I went through the buy everything I saw on clearance phase. I didn't drop a huge amount of money and I think I only got burnt on a couple of things. I could always absorb them in my personal collection. The temptation to add to my minifigure collection is enormous.

• Like 1

FYI for the poster, eBay actually has a fee calculator where you can plug in all the details and find out exactly how much you will make after all applicable fees.

But on the other hand, it can be kind of goofy to use, and you can do far better if you create your own version in Excel using some simple formulas.

Thanks but I already got it figured out. The easiest way for me is you lose 13% + Shipping Costs if you use Paypal and aren't getting discounted fees.

-I don't always go shopping, but when I do I buy Lego-

Welcome, many blogs cover how to sell what kind of sets to look for (exclusives for example) and what to avoid (random unmemorable Star Wars sets), so that is a good place to start.  There is a lot of data to go through but it is all useful.

People may also drop hints in the daily deals thread inbetween all of the banter.

Guest betsy805

Hi from a fellow Washingtonian (Lynnwood/Mukilteo area).  As far as fees you're looking at 10% ebay, 2.9%+.30 paypal, plus shipping/ink/packaging/etc.  If you've not used paypal before it'll take a couple weeks before your first 'sale' funds are cleared, but after you become established you'll get the money right away.  Good luck!