9465 The Zombies - Could this be EOL soon?

Anyone have any info on the status of 9465 - The Zombies? It is showing sold out on LEGO Shop at Home and has been out of stock at Target (both online and in stores) for several weeks I think. I have a few I'm holding onto and am wondering if it could be close to EOL even though it has only been available a few months. I'm hoping this will be an investment winner!

Several weeks? More like months. This is one set that people have been buying up like a cocaine addict. As far as I know, the MONSTER FIGHTERS theme will be discontinued by next year. No idea how long that could take though. All I can say is "People love their zombies!" So yeah, this will be a definite investment winner! (This and the "Haunted House".)

How can you tell something is going EOL besides the new "Retiring Soon" label? Lego runs out of stock all the time and then gets more in stock. Don't the Holiday sets typically last two years, so I'm assuming the Monster Fighters might have a two year run. Is there any evidence it will only be one season? I don't know whether to hope for new Halloween sets next year or for these to continue. I really like a lot of these sets and I am probably closer to having a complete Monster Fighters set than in any other theme (I don't have the coffin car, ghost or swamp creature). But, if they come out with new Halloween sets that are as good or better, then I will feel the need to buy them! Aww, well, I guess I could sell some of my duplicates, but I have a Halloween display which will soon be as big as my Christmas display. In our family Halloween is 2nd only to Christmas. A few years ago vampires would have been the most popular, but popular media (movies, games, books, etc.) has kind of moved on to zombies. It was hard not to notice the scarcity of the zombie set so I have nine which is a lot for me.

Unless LEGO confirms it, there is no sure way to ascertain when a theme or set will actually be discontinued. At best the new "Retiring Soon" label just lets us know that they won't be making any more of that set. Meaning once it's gone, it's gone!

On one hand, I would like more Halloween sets like the MONSTER FIGHTERS theme.

But then again, I love that theme so much just because it is unique and hasn't been done before.

So maybe let's hold off on another Halloween theme for a while. (That would also help with the value of the current series, where as more sets would only hinder their values.)

The only decent evidence for a 'one-run' theme is the limited subject matter of MONSTER FIGHTERS.

We've already tossed around some set ideas in a couple of other threads. There really isn't that much left that can be done without seeming like slight redesigns.

Like you mentioned Talon, one time it was vampires, another it was werewolves, even another it was witches, and now it's zombies mainly. Even if this 'zombie-craze' ends, I'm still sure that "The Zombies" set will appreciate well. It will level off at some point, but very nicely when it does.

By the way, you have NINE "The Zombies" sets?!

Bloody heck, you're the reason their sold out!!!!

(Should make a nice profit down the road there, Talon.)

Could the Monster Fighters line work like the Winter Village series where Lego just sells the sets seasonally and then they go away until the following year?

I think that would be their best strategy. Look at when they came out this year, they were on shelves long enough for people to know they're there, and just in time for Halloween.

Brilliant.

Time will tell. Thought I would share what I heard.

Thanks for the information. The Zombies 9465 is a set that flew under many collector's radars, including mine. While I believe the Haunted House will still be produced for quite awhile, many of the smaller sets can EOL early, similar to the Harry Potter's theme, The Burrow and Hogwarts Express.

Bottom line is, if you want the Monster Fighters sets, buy them now because there is no guarantee they will be around another week, let alone till next Halloween. If you can locate a 9465 at a fair price, maybe now is the time to pick one up.

While I believe the Haunted House will still be produced for quite awhile, many of the smaller sets can EOL early, similar to the Harry Potter's theme, The Burrow and Hogwarts Express.

The smaller sets are or have become rather difficult to find (online or in-store). All the points said here is exactly why when I first hear or see a new theme, the first one's I buy are the smaller sets since the BIG ones just sit around for a while and eventually go on sale (or atleast get a temporay price cut).

I knew that "The Zombies" set was a 'must have' (as a collector or investor), so I kept checking the Target site about everyday, clicked on the item and see if it was "In My Store". As soon as it was my butt went flying faster than a kid hopped up on smack! Took about a month before it could stay on the shelf long enough for me to snag one.

"The Ghost Train", "Lord Vampyre's Castle", and "Haunted House" will be available for a while.

I would be pushing it to include "The Crazy Scientist & His Monster".

Lego doesn't even have its act together with the "Retiring Soon" label. We know that Diagon Alley is "Retiring Soon" but if you go to the Lego Shop, it isn't under the Retiring Soon option. (Click on What's New at the top then on the bottom left change the choices from What's New to Retiring Soon, you won't see Diagon Alley listed). But, if you go to Diagon Alley you will see the Retiring Soon label on it. Likely just a data glitch but doesn't improve my confidence in what is on the website (just got my Haunted Houses today from the pre-Black Friday sale that said they would be shipped by 11/30) or the people behind it. Someone at Lego may know what they are going to do with the Monster Fighter sets, but just as likely there is a committee there arguing over what to do and no one really knows yet!

Lego doesn't even have its act together with the "Retiring Soon" label. We know that Diagon Alley is "Retiring Soon" but if you go to the Lego Shop, it isn't under the Retiring Soon option. (Click on What's New at the top then on the bottom left change the choices from What's New to Retiring Soon, you won't see Diagon Alley listed). But, if you go to Diagon Alley you will see the Retiring Soon label on it. Likely just a data glitch but doesn't improve my confidence in what is on the website (just got my Haunted Houses today from the pre-Black Friday sale that said they would be shipped by 11/30) or the people behind it.

Someone at Lego may know what they are going to do with the Monster Fighter sets, but just as likely there is a committee there arguing over what to do and no one really knows yet!

The Zombies set might be a good indicator of where the whole theme is heading. If new ones are not produced, maybe time is limited on the entire theme. The more I think about this theme, the more I think it will be retiring sooner than later.

Agreed.

I have been wrong more than once in my life, but I really feel this line won't be around long. With no other releases in the line to keep these going, I just have that feeling that these will be a limited release, especially with them being as distinct a genre as they are. I am REALLY hoping these, Holiday Bakery, and Holiday Post Office are gone this time next year, this guy needs to start selling, and not just buying.

Agreed.

I have been wrong more than once in my life, but I really feel this line won't be around long. With no other releases in the line to keep these going, I just have that feeling that these will be a limited release, especially with them being as distinct a genre as they are. I am REALLY hoping these, Holiday Bakery, and Holiday Post Office are gone this time next year, this guy needs to start selling, and not just buying.

This theme is a very popular one as indicated by being #1 on the CAGR THEME CHART. I was assuming it would be around for while, but The Zombies set becoming very difficult to find is an indicator to me of a theme with limited life. There are no new sets planned from what we know and Halloween is a long way off. Of course, if the 9465 is back in stock again, this speculation ends rather quickly.

I was at a Walmart and Target yesterday looking for a birthday present for my sons friend, no sign of the Zombies anywhere. Tons of Werewolf, Ghost Train, Pond Monster, Mummy, but no Zombies and only a single castle, but don't need any more of those. My Haunted Houses arrived today from LEGO Shop at Home, going to be very hard to not open one of them.

My Haunted Houses arrived today from LEGO Shop at Home, going to be very hard to no open one of them.

I agree, so maybe I'm now happy one of my Haunted House boxes is slightly bent in from the packing. I was thinking that is the one I am going to open and build!