belated introduction

Realized I never posted in here, I just registered and beelined it to the daily deals thread :money:

I'm a full blown lego addict and started collecting in the early 80's at the young age of 4 years old.  I was a huge star wars fan as a kid (got hooked when my older brother bootlegged jedi on vhs) and always asked for classic space sets so I could buid the ships from the movies.  Ironically 20 years later lego grabs the license and produces true lego star wars sets.  But damn those dark ages, I just never looked at any of them and missed out on some good sets.

It took getting married and inheriting a couple of great stepkids to finally pull me out of the dark age and back into lego.  For my stepsons birthday a few years ago I was tasked with buying him a gift, and of course what better gift is there than my old favorite: lego.  It was his first set, and he was hooked.  Then I got hooked.  Again.  Time to take him to the local lego store that I only just then realized existed.  My wife still talks about how excited both myself and my stepson got when we walked into that place.

I became a member here for a couple of reasons.  I wanted to find good deals on sets.  I wans't looking to invest or anything, just wanted to cut down on the costs.  Then I saw how much some of the retired sets were going for and thought that this could be a fun way to earn some extra money to subsidize our family's collection.  So now I have a small stockpile of lego sets in our basement storage room, so we'll see how this little venture goes.

Anyway, like I said, I've been here a little while, just wanted to formally introduce myself and hope to see ya'll around the forum.

One of the last themes I got into before I grew out of Lego was the first pirates run.  When I saw pictures of the 10210 online I knew I had to have it to pair with my black seas barracuda.  Yes, I paid the aftermarket price (was lower than it is today but still hurt the wallet), and that's what really got me to notice lego investing.

Welcome to brickpicker from a fellow classic space lover!  One of my prized possessions is a blue spaceman from a set that I got for my birthday in Feb '87.  Somehow, he's almost in perfect condition in spite of all the play he got over time and the fact that he's been legal to drink for over six years now.

• Like 1

Ouch, j.hermit - hurts to think about how many minifigs I own that have reached drinking age! Welcome naf from yet another 1980's classic space lover - and who also was brought out of the dark ages by 10210 (though I snagged it at retail). While the flagship is impressive, 6980 Galaxy Commander is still my all time favorite playset.

Welcome to brickpicker from a fellow classic space lover!  One of my prized possessions is a blue spaceman from a set that I got for my birthday in Feb '87.  Somehow, he's almost in perfect condition in spite of all the play he got over time and the fact that he's been legal to drink for over six years now.

Does the blue spaceman really have a value? I have one also from the 80's.

I've posted this link elsewhere, but here's my classic space/futuron/blacktron collection.  Spent a week going through bins filled with random bricks to piece all of these back together.  The crown jewel of my collection, 6990, still runs like a top after sitting idle for over 20 years.  I was worried because a lot of my old motorized toys were dead, but not the monorail!

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=529319

• Like 2

I've posted this link elsewhere, but here's my classic space/futuron/blacktron collection.  Spent a week going through bins filled with random bricks to piece all of these back together.  The crown jewel of my collection, 6990, still runs like a top after sitting idle for over 20 years.  I was worried because a lot of my old motorized toys were dead, but not the monorail!

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=529319

Love seeing that Classic Space 'town'

• Like 1

Love seeing that Classic Space 'town'

I hope to someday have a permanent classic space display set up, I'll need to move before that happens though!  I've been picking up those classic gray baseplates with the craters on them from ebay and craigslists to add to it.