So... Classic Space and Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!!!

Stevenplays

So I am pretty sure of you are aware of the Classic Space line, but if you're not, here's a bit of a crash course in the theme

It ran from 1978 to 1988.

It had 5 different types of Spacemen, including yellow, red, white, blue and the most rare being black, appearing in only 9 sets.

There were 4 different types of Classic Space helmets, and atleast 2 were in production at all times.

The gold printing was the first to wear off, then the white, and finally the red.

The first helmets were very easy to crack, due to a thin chinstrap.

All parts were printed to my knowledge, no stickers in this line! (I believe).

So most of you guys have probably seen The LEGO Movie, if you haven't, don't buy another DS, just go out and see the movie already! But anyway, I'ld just like to say that I love this new "Classic" Space set that's being released. Never owned a Classic Space set, and only really go intensely into LEGO 2 years ago. Galaxy Squad is simply disappointing in my eyes. Sad to say as I really want to get into a pure LEGO space line. It's a theme I would like LEGO to reintroduce this old line, but it will sadly, most likely, probably never happen.

I'ld just like to hear about your thoughts on the Classic Space line and Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP in general.

...my first introduction to Lego was the Classic Space line back in 1980-'81... unfortunately, being a (starving) high school student at the time, most of my allowance went to books and never really got into collecting Lego until a decade later... I doubt TLC will re-introduce the Classic Space line but I'd surely get Benny's Spaceship when it comes out, just to rekindle my younger years and Lego...

My father purchased just about every space set there was in the late 70's and through the 80's when I was growing up.  I have bins upon bins of these things.  I have the Lego catalogue of all the sets, too, and it's amazing how many I have, albeit in random containers. 

This ship and the big yellow thing from the movie are supposed to be released later this year as new sets, I think 80 and 100$, respectively.

The best thing about classic LEGO sets (not just Space) was the pictures of alternate builds at the back of the boxes. I could not tell you how much time I spent and enjoyment I got from figuring out those builds with just parts from the said box.

Now THAT is something I miss. In the original Knight Bus set they had so many different model ideas, and that was what really got me into building different models out of the pieces I already have and try to limit what I can use.

The best thing about classic LEGO sets (not just Space) was the pictures of alternate builds at the back of the boxes. I could not tell you how much time I spent and enjoyment I got from figuring out those builds with just parts from the said box.

With those sets it was still all about imagination, not how close can we get this set to what it was in the movie.

The Classic Space and Pirate themes are my best all time memories of LEGO. I think the only way Classic Space LEGO could come back as a niche line of LEGO exclusives geared towards adults for nostalgia purposes. Larger, complex kits in the familiar blue, grey, and white designs. Marketing of Classic Space for younger builders may be just lose out against the Star Wars line that will probably continue for another decade(!) as the new movies come out.

SPACESHIP!

I just recently purchased the entire vehicle line of Blacktron 1 to go with my original battrax and message intercept base, HA after 25 years i finally have the Renegade!

Found this in a recent bulk lot, missing the red translucent panels, but brought back a lot of memories.post-30202-0-20747400-1395094836_thumb.j

I'll always love classic space for the nostalgia....but, man, those sets are poorly designed and bland compared to the new Galaxy Squad line. I don't even own any of the galaxy squad for building and I still have about 10 classic space sets plus the original Blacktron Message Intercept Base from my childhood.

The new sets have much cooler figs and accessories, higher quality designs that don't fall apart, and great playability and details that the old sets just don't have.

--------------------

Visit my eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/mo-state-bricks

One of my earliest memories in life was a Lego space model, I would have been about 4 and a half years old, it was a sunny day and my mum was teaching me to count using a 'wing 4 x 8 right' from the space scooter 885 set. I remember the lattice style 1 x 4 piece and the trans-blue round bricks.

Always been a fan of classic Space;  my first set was a little gray spaceship in Christmas '86.

I was parting out a Joker's Steamroller last week, and when I got to the Batwing/Jet, and for two or three seconds I could've sworn I was 9 years old again and breaking open bags for my Blacktron Renegade.  It was a strange rush of memories, but a nice feeling nonetheless.

• Like 2

Classic Space is awesome and timeless.  Glad it is getting some love with Benny's Spaceship.

There was something just so timeless about classic space.  Yes the designs were simple and the minifigures were plain.  But it is almost like they did just enough so that the imagination could do the rest.  Take for example the most iconic set of the theme, the 497 Galaxy Explorer.

dsc03162.jpg

Just the most impressive box art.  Just some Lego men quietly working on a strange planet under an intense alien sun.  While overhead the sleek Galaxy Explorer glides effortlessly towards an alien sun through the cold mute expanse of space.  A universe of possibility and adventure await.  This is why the theme has endured the decades and has such a cult status.

M-Tron-1991.jpg

Classic Space was the genesis that spawned the golden age of LEGO space.  One of the best things was that it wasn't simple good guys Vs. bad guys like today.  You had all these factions, each with their own drives and objectives.  From the nomadic foragers of M-Tron to the galactic peacekeepers of Space Police to the quiet researchers of Ice Planet 2002. Each was unique.  Some of the greats of space came out in this period.  The 6941 Battrax, the 6990 Monorail (and its brother the Unitron Monorail base), the 6989 Mega Core Magnetizer, the 6988 Alpha Centauri Outpost.  The list goes on and on!

(BTW I just noticed the Blacktron guy in the background getting booted into a cell :P)

1998_Catalog_Insectoids_2.jpg

Sadly, in the late '90's.  LEGO space went into a decline.  While UFO, Roboforce and Insectoids were not bad by a long shot.  They just seemed to lose something.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but the sets just seemed to get too busy and lacked some intangible quality that the previous years had given us.  Then in 1999 LEGO Star Wars appeared and put the final nails in the coffin of Space.  Not that I am hating on Star Wars, the sets are great (until they went overboard with all the non-original trilogy stuff) and they saved LEGO from the chopping block but something dear was lost with LEGO space.

Subsequent space themes have just been so forgettable.  Mars mission tried admirably and Space Police III was just awful.  Galaxy Squad has some awesome sets, several of which have earned places next to my Space sets.  But again it just seems like the harder LEGO reach for the magic of Classic Space the more it slips away.  Now this August we finally get a proper tribute to the proud lineage of Classic Space in the form of Benny's Spaceship.  It is not perfect, but it does very well. And I have to say that the August release can't come soon enough.  It also fills me with hope for the future of LEGO Space.

/steps off the soapbox :P

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I had a bunch of Classic Space sets (and I also kept boxes flattened) when I was younger. All my LEGO disappeared years ago thanks to unscrupulous movers so I have none to pass along to my kids. Fond memories of the line. I stopped with LEGO in the mid-'80s as I went to college. Had to pick up the SPACESHIP! for the nostalgia, and used it to mock up some elements of the old Space sets.

• 5 years later...