Are others having trouble with Ebay Business Policies?

Guest brickcrazyhouse

yea went to switch an item from buy it now to auction and was only given a "chinese auction" option.  WTF is a chinese auction?

yea went to switch an item from buy it now to auction and was only given a "chinese auction" option.  WTF is a chinese auction?

Lol no idea.

Reading the forums it looks like a ton of people are having this problem. And for several days.

Ebay, as much as I like the site just because there is no competition to it, is a frickin joke as a company.

I had a similar problem during the week, it was as if I'd suddenly been opted out of them.  Had to go to the business policy page and opt back in, luckily it still had all my policies in there so nothing lost:

http://www.bizpolicy.ebay.com/businesspolicy/manage

Even then, when revising one of my items this morning it was like the policies were opted out again -- but visiting the business policy management page, it still showed me as opted in and when I went back to the auction a second time the policies were back... 

I had this happen yesterday - I called them and shortly thereafter, it was back to normal.

Basically instead of filling in the fields, it insists that you choose from one of your policies. Since I have never set up a policy, 100's have been created (to cover any combination I have set up). Of course the description just shows Policy 65487951, etc - which means you have nothing to base your choices on, and if you make a change to that one, any others that you have listed with that policy will be changed.

If you try to "sell similar item", it switches to your default policy (which you never set up) - not to the policy of the item you are trying to sell a similar item as.

Supposedly, this is the future - and I have over 800 listings (This is not going to be fun)

Here is an online news story regarding it:

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y14/m02/i17/s01

I had this problem about two weeks ago when I went to re-list one of my items. After trying to fix the policy, I refreshed the page and it fixed itself. 

I looked up "Chinese auction" on the eBay Community Q&A and a member named "whiskertail" had this answer. Link to the page.

Chinese Auctions are auctions that end with 1 buyer winning all item(s) in the listing. All auctions on eBay are now Chinese Auctions.

Compare that to Dutch Auctions (formerly allowed, but now no longer allowed on eBay) where there are multiple identical items that may be won by more than 1 buyer.

Why they are now using the term "chinese auction" instead of just "auction" I don't know.  The developers and web designers start messing around with the code and things like that start popping up.