Hello from St. Louis - Brickelements

Go Cardinals!  Should be another great baseball year.

A little about me.  42, Married, and I just acquired the best thing ever.

We are adopting a little boy, Robert.  He is just over 5 weeks old.  Super stoked to finally have a building buddy.

Although I have to admit this level of sleep deprivation was not forseen.  Wow.

Of all people my mom is responsible for bringing me out of the dark ages.

I think it was 2009/2010 when she asked me to remove last few items from my old room before they moved.

In my box of Lego I found classic space sets, vintage castle sets, and a nearly new in box 6285 Barracuda.

The Barracuda I received as a senoir in Highschool.  It was basically a display model and really didn't get played with.

I still have it, the box and manuals.  I have been hooked ever since.

I buy large theme concentrated lots on eBay and do my best to restore (complete each set), build and finally resell sets.

Don't make a lot because of the time spent, but it sure is fun.

As a AFOL and investor, I have been building inventory ever since.

My best purchase ever:

I found a $5 off each purchase over $25 at Target and I bought (12) 9465 Zombies sets.  Still have 6.

I wish I bought more...funny each set was shipped individually.

Some of my better purchases, bought (6) 10210 for an avg price of 148.00.

Buying (3) 10212 from target on Discount 207.00

Buying (3) 10188 from target on discount 295.00

Buying (4) 8043 from TRU on discount 156.00

Other notable purchases have been holiday sets on discount.

Taking advantage of Amazon UK for great Technic set discounts.

Last summer I went crazy buying:

Biggest flop...buying 99 Pharaohs Quest Battle packs.  I still have 83 of them.

Very diff to move.

My favorite theme is vintage Pirates.  I have every major set.  Most in multples.

If someone needs something to fill in their collection contact me and we can trade.

Best investment advice...buy what you know.  Look for exckusives and short production runs.

When in doubt stick to the Legacy themes (pirates, castle, city, technic etc)

Why are they so popular?  Because the people who grew up with them as kids are now seeking them out as adults.

Rinse and repeat....what is very popular right now will probably come around again in 20 yrs (opinion: Lego Movie could be a big one).  Look at the solid gains of the Vintage Pirate theme...the Ship sets are really picking up some momentum.

Build, build build...what is the point of having all this Lego without using it?

Share you joy of Lego with anyone who is willing to participate.

Do your best to never pay retail.

Thanks for welcoming me into the BrickPicker Family.

Brickelements - Scott

• Like 1

My favorite childhood sets were also the Pirates - I still have Barracuda, Clipper, and Imperial fortress. I came out of my dark ages in 2012 about a year too late and missed the Imperial Flagship. I almost bought it at 100% markup at the time (about $260) but didn't - of course, now I regret it!!!

Thanks too all.

How many people got in on the recent target/amazon sales.  Smaller retail sets but with many at 50% off seems like a no brainer.

The spidey set with the first appearance of Venom seemed like a great idea.  Ave price of less than $10 each...booyahhh.

Also bought a few 70013 Equila's Ultra Striker (Target exclusive)

60010 Fire Helicopter (Target exclusive) - Sold out at Lego

Basement room is full, time to refresh some inventory.

We were recently blessed with a baby boy (adoption).  The day we took him home from the hospital I had to go to the local walmart to acquire a carseat.

There were at least a dozen of Lone Ranger Trains and a many other good sets 50% off.

going to be packed with a new carseat/stroller and all the stuff the hospital donated to us.

It is selfish to think of Lego investing on a day like that...but my gosh it was an easy 750.00 - 1000.00 in nearly instant profit.

Can't stop kicking myself for not finding a way to send it to myself.

We neither had the time or the resources to secure and ship or transport the amount of Lego Walmart had discounted.

It filled an entire encap.   still drooling over it.