Why are road plates so expensive?

Funny how years ago I could get a pack of two baseplates (plain or road) together for five bucks. I don't know why they are this kind of expensive now other than Lego can and what can you do about it? Yeah I get it, inflation, economy, blah blah blah. Whatever. In any case, I wish there was a current option to purchase 16x32 baseplates outside of BrickLink. I can see those getting scarce in a couple years.

• Like 1

Because Lego has a monopoly with road plates and charge whatever they want. You want to build a Lego city? It needs roads, and you can't substitute much else for it or buy them in different sets. If you check ebay you're looking at least $10 per road plate.

Funny how years ago I could get a pack of two baseplates (plain or road) together for five bucks. I don't know why they are this kind of expensive now other than Lego can and what can you do about it? Yeah I get it, inflation, economy, blah blah blah. Whatever. In any case, I wish there was a current option to purchase 16x32 baseplates outside of BrickLink. I can see those getting scarce in a couple years.

The baseplates are rarely used in today's sets. I remember when the police and fire stations used to have base plates, now they are just made of regular plates.

I'm guessing that they use a lot of black and white tiles to make them. After thinking about it, it could cost as much as buying the road plates from Lego.

No, it's done with SNOT.  Build a big wide tower of depth 1 and then lie it down.  Follow that link and you shall see. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...