Newbie Collector to the Lego World

I recently retired from the corporate world and I'm only 40 years old so I'm looking for a new adventure. I have started collecting action figures and a good friend of mine told me that I should start collecting Legos. I have been on your site for the past 2-weeks and I'm shocked on all the stuff I have learned.

I just started grabbing Star Wars Legos and some DC Legos but how do I find out when Legos are getting ready to retire?

Probably only going to collect Star Wars, Super hero

Guest TabbyBoy

Welcome... It can be very addictive at first and it takes a while to develop a knack of what sets to buy and what to avoid.  For what it's worth.... I'm into large exclusives (eg. VW Camper, Sopwith Camel, Modulars), Classic StarWars (not prequels), medium/large Friends sets.  I like Super Heroes for my personal collection but I don't buy many to invest. The risk being is that a set is likely to be re-released in a newer/better version harming the value of the old one.  This just happened in the UK with the Captain America's Avenging Cycle and Hulk sets.  Not only is it in the choice of set, it's also in the timing of selling.  I missed the 41999 boat but, I was lucky to get some cheap a few weeks ago and offload quickly.  You'll find a lot of useful info on here like I have.

Of course it's your call and good luck!

Welcome... It can be very addictive at first and it takes a while to develop a knack of what sets to buy and what to avoid.  For what it's worth.... I'm into large exclusives (eg. VW Camper, Sopwith Camel, Modulars), Classic StarWars (not prequels), medium/large Friends sets.  I like Super Heroes for my personal collection but I don't buy many to invest. The risk being is that a set is likely to be re-released in a newer/better version harming the value of the old one.  This just happened in the UK with the Captain America's Avenging Cycle and Hulk sets.  Not only is it in the choice of set, it's also in the timing of selling.  I missed the 41999 boat but, I was lucky to get some cheap a few weeks ago and offload quickly.  You'll find a lot of useful info on here like I have.

Of course it's your call and good luck!

Thanks for the great info TabbyBoy!