Hello from Melbourne Australia

Hi, I'm new to investing and only really decided to invest/collect after buying a few of the UCS Star Wars for my son over the last year and was so impressed with the displays.

My son has built and has proudly displayed a R2D2 (10225) a Red 5 X-Wing (10240) and soon (his 13th birthday is this Friday) a SSD 10221.

In my investment collection which will remain sealed except for doubles where my son will get one when it's a birthday etc I have :

2x Red 5 X-wings 10240 - got 20% off

R2D2 -10225 - No discount but I had to have a new one for myself after seeing my sons built one.

2x 75021 republic Gunships - got 30% off

2x Millennium Falcon 7965 - Full price but got them from Amazon which is cheaper (even with shipping) than retail in Australia.

4x 9492 Tie fighters. These are now retired so got them for a seasonable price, with shipping AU$72 each

I'm so new that most of my list are still in shipping so fingers crossed when they arrive they are in great shape.

I'm not expecting anything big from investing it's more for fun and gives me a hobby I can share with my son.

I really enjoy this site and find it a wealth of information which is priceless for newbies such as myself.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

My son opened his birthday present this morning and the look on his face was priceless.

He's now the owner of a  very impressive looking SSD 10221 and will have an absolute ball building it.

I think I need to get one for myself now.

Thanks for the welcome Ciglione.

I have a question for the collectors out there.

I know there are those who buy to build and those who buy to invest and resell down the track when there's profit to be made but are there collectors who buy to keep and never build or play with the lego.

Basically are there collectors who want their legos in the original box never opened and just enjoy owning and have no interest in selling there main collection.

My gut tells me yes and I'm curious if that's a small part or large part of the market.

Thanks for the welcome Ciglione.

I have a question for the collectors out there.

I know there are those who buy to build and those who buy to invest and resell down the track when there's profit to be made but are there collectors who buy to keep and never build or play with the lego.

Basically are there collectors who want their legos in the original box never opened and just enjoy owning and have no interest in selling there main collection.

My gut tells me yes and I'm curious if that's a small part or large part of the market.

There are a few crazy people like this in the LEGO world.  I really do not understand this though.  If they like to own lots of sealed sets, why not just take a recliner to the LEGO store and stare at all the sealed boxes?

Obviously, you can see that I am not one of those people.  People like that make up a very small portion of the LEGO collecting group.

And last but not least - Welcome to Brickpicker, OscarA!

• Like 1

I know what you mean. I got my son a Super Star destroyer for his birthday which he built over the weekend, this thing is amazing and reviews don't do it justice in my opinion. Last week I ordered one from Amazon as an investment which arrived this morning, I'm now finding myself thinking I want to keep it untouched, sealed new in box and not as an investment but for ME :whistle:

looks like I might have to buy another one.

Something tells me I should walk away now before it gets out of hand.  :wacko:

There are a few crazy people like this in the LEGO world.  I really do not understand this though.  If they like to own lots of sealed sets, why not just take a recliner to the LEGO store and stare at all the sealed boxes?

Thanks for the welcome Noodlenut.

That's what I thought and sadly I might have a little of that craziness in me.

it only gets out of hand if you admit there's a problem. stay in denial land it's a lot more fun

It's all good I only want 3 of everything Star Wars, one for my son to build, one for me and one to sell.

How expensive could that be........... :no: