Does a box add value to a used set?

I have purchased my first lot of sets from a Craigslist seller. He had several boxes that he had saved. My question is, how much value does a box add to a used set? Or is it even worth keeping them? These sets are not that sought after, so I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for the help

JB

I have purchased my first lot of sets from a Craigslist seller. He had several boxes that he had saved. My question is, how much value does a box add to a used set? Or is it even worth keeping them? These sets are not that sought after, so I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for the help

JB

Some folks do sell empty product boxes on ebay.I would actually not mind buying Haunted House box for a reasonable price, though I would be concerned with shipping cost...

Been debating this on some of the used sets I have from lots. Half of them are early 90's castle sets so on those its a definite I would say. But on some 2009, SW sets I am thinking not so much.

One option that would take a little more work is maybe give the buyer the option. Say have the normal no box shipping option and then a with box shipping option. Not sure how viable that route is....especially with idiot buyers who don't read.

Been debating this on some of the used sets I have from lots. Half of them are early 90's castle sets so on those its a definite I would say. But on some 2009, SW sets I am thinking not so much.

One option that would take a little more work is maybe give the buyer the option. Say have the normal no box shipping option and then a with box shipping option. Not sure how viable that route is....especially with idiot buyers who don't read.

The older boxes are worth getting. I have a couple ones from classic space theme in great condition that I may sell some day.

When the set is a few years old the box will add value, when it becomes a vintage sought after collectable it can double the value.

Done it before, bought a box for 20 quid and turned a set from 70 to 140 quid. (it was an 80's 7866 remote controlled level crossing).

• Like 1

I don't think you can estimate the precise value of boxes. Except for the very special boxes like 10179 and old modular. Below are my experience as buyer and seller.

Me as buyer:

When I buy used lego sets I feel like sets with old boxes in general tend to be in better shape. It might be that people keeping boxes after opening are more carefull with their "toys" or organised. Also on general basis, sets with old boxes tends to have all the pieces as opposed to a set without box, both sellers states all pieces are there.

Me as seller:

It seems to me that when I sell used sets nicely packed in open box that it sells quicker than just the used lego set.

So I try to keep the old boxes even though it is difficult to store.