6860 Batcave or 79008 Pirate Ship Ambush

Just my 2 cents, I haven't been at this for very long...

Ships generally have a very favorable EOL appreciation.  This however is a somewhat unique pick because it isn't like the traditional LEGO pirate/imperial ships.  Some say the LOTR tie-in should be favorable to it's potential growth, but others say that the difference from traditional pirate ship sets hurts it's potential growth.

The Bat Cave has fairly good potential due to rabid comic fans, however I believe someone else has pointed out that there has been a previous bat cave and it's entirely possible that there will be new ones in the future.  If a better bat cave is released in the future, it could stunt the growth of the current one.  The old bat cave looks like it was selling north of $300, but there is at least one on ebay right now that's been sitting for a couple of days as a BIN under $150.  Could be a fluke, or could be because the current set has knee-capped the older one.

Interesting that most replies have been for the Batcave.  I was actually leaning towards the Pirate Ship Ambush just because it's a bigger discount and if I decided to build it, I think it would be something cool to build with my kid as she is a big LOTR fan.

Batcave has retired, Pirate Ship Ambush will still be around for a while, so go Batcave.

i'll be darned.  ...didn't notice 6860 was retired in the UK.  we'll likely have another batcave by mid-2015 or 2016 regardless when this retires in the US. 

For longer term ROI , the pirate ship should do better.  However, if we get 1 full year without 6860 or a refresh, 6860 will be a $200+ set until the refresh hits.

One other thing to look at and I know this may have been disputed by Fire Brigade but how many resellers will have huge numbers of the batcave. Also since it seems batcave has longer legs in NA with lots of stock right now and Pirate Ship Ambush is on what at least seems like a shorter run (guess) that may come into play (IMH Rookie Opinion)

For investment purposes, I lean slightly towards Batcave, since there will be more movies related to it and the minifigs are great in that set.

The ship for collecting purposes and building will really look awesome on a shelf or table for sure.

I only have the cash for 1 set and went ahead and picked up the Pirate Ship Ambush for 80CDN.  This was at Walt-mart.  The store had 5 sets but the initial clearance price on the sticker was 119 only.  I scanned it and showed up at $80.  I am selling some stuff this weekend so with the funds I will pick up The Bat Cave.

I picked up 7879 Both Echo base last week from ToyRus Canada when they were having their 20% off sale on Star Wars sets.  I am wondering if I should return it and get the Bat Cave instead.

Again, thanks for all the opinions.  Much appreciated

I only have the cash for 1 set and went ahead and picked up the Pirate Ship Ambush for 80CDN.  This was at Walt-mart.  The store had 5 sets but the initial clearance price on the sticker was 119 only.  I scanned it and showed up at $80.  I am selling some stuff this weekend so with the funds I will pick up The Bat Cave.

Good choice! was going to say the Pirate ship would be my pick as they are going quick at $80, at least in the GTA. Indigo has Batcave at this price all month, and subsequently at amazon.ca via pricematch.

This is indeed a tough call.  I personally love both of these sets.  LotR and Super Heroes are my two favorite themes, so I can definitely  understand the predicament here.

But favorites and growth potential aside, the Batcave needs to be picked up first in this instance.  It has been out for over two years now, and is almost certain to be on its way out soon.  The Pirate Ship is only 8 or 9 months old, so there is still time to get that at a discounted price for a while.

If you are looking at this purely as an investment, always buy the oldest set first.  Theoretically it should be the closest to retirement, and the closest to appreciating in value.

• Like 1

Thats actually a tough one, I have some of both set and think they will both do well, but I would go with bat cave just for the fact it will probably retire within a year. The downside is I bet we see another bat cave in the next few years which will really hurt this set.

Yeah I think I will return the Hoth Echo Base set and get the Bat Cave.  Comparing the 2 sets, I am finding the Bat Cave is more appealing to me.  Although, the HOth Echo base set has some cool minifigs that I wouldnt mind keeping