10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

I called my local lego store yesterday to see if they had TH.  The guy said "yes we got one in but NO WE DO NOT SHIP IT!"  I responded with I live very close I don't need it shipped and they put it on hold for me and I got it.  Heh.  Trekgate you been calling all the lego stores in the US trying to get them to ship you TH?

• Like 1

I called my local lego store yesterday to see if they had TH.  The guy said "yes we got one in but NO WE DO NOT SHIP IT!"  I responded with I live very close I don't need it shipped and they put it on hold for me and I got it.  Heh.  Trekgate you been calling all the lego stores in the US trying to get them to ship you TH?

Actually I did a few weeks ago when the flurry started but I have not in the last couple of weeks. hehe.  There must be a bunch of people calling to check status and ask about shipping.  I've acquired a pretty good qty of them not low and not outrageous either so I am contented.  Will be on the lookout for more but I'm pleased with what I have. I flipped one damage box one and made $50 net pre-tax but the rest I will hold to watch the prices go up which are holding steady at about $310 on ebay with not that many for sale...  Congrats on getting your set.

mscheaf, please don't rush out to panic buy any Town Halls whatsoever and save them for the rest of us because you clearly aren't convinced that this one could be done.

Yeah I just asked a question. Sorry if my disagreeing with you is so painful for you. You should try not caring what strangers on the internet think. You will save yourself a lot of stress. And I haven't been panic buying. I got the same two I have had for months. I am just asking about the SSD thinng. Everyone keeps pointing to that as proof, but like I said that's one set. Out of thousands that have retired.

Yeah I just asked a question. Sorry if my disagreeing with you is so painful for you. You should try not caring what strangers on the internet think. You will save yourself a lot of stress. And I haven't been panic buying. I got the same two I have had for months. I am just asking about the SSD thinng. Everyone keeps pointing to that as proof, but like I said that's one set. Out of thousands that have retired.

We all know it's not hard proof.  It's just continued speculation and discussion.

• Like 1

1,000 posts later, and all we know for sure is - LEGO investors have way too much time on their hands. 

Where is that Culture Club song when you need it?

Time won't give me time

And time makes lovers feel like they've got somethin' real

But you and me, we know they've got nothin' but time

And time won't give me time won't give me time

• Like 1

i agree.  with any investment, it's all about speculation since we don't have insider info.  luck also helps :)

i'm stepping onto my soapbox now.

while lego sometimes indirectly drops hints (e.g. sets keeping selling out, set is getting long in the tooth, sets that like to be replacements are released, buying limits per order, etc...), it is still mainly speculation and luck. 

i assume sometimes we need to go with our gut feeling.  as some of us (at least me) are both AFOLs and collectors , i like to think those people have a grasp on what sets will be popular after retirement.  my honest opinion, it's not rocket science and people shouldn't depend on the same repeated posts about what sets should be bought. 

if i think a set is totally cool after building it, i'm buying it since others will probably feel the same way after missing out on it.  that is why people jumped all over 10226 SC, 10221 SSD, 10228 HH, 10197 FB and even sets back in the mid-late 2000s like 10179 MF, 10196 GC, 10181 EF and the first 2 modular blgs to name some.  To me, they were totally awesome builds and looked cool on display 

10224 fits into my thought process.

bottom line is to not wait too long in buying sets you think are cool. 

We all know it's not hard proof.  It's just continued speculation and discussion.

• Like 4

i agree.  with any investment, it's all about speculation since we don't have insider info.  luck also helps :)

i'm stepping onto my soapbox now.

while lego sometimes indirectly drops hints (e.***. sets keeping selling out, set is getting long in the tooth, sets that like to be replacements are released, buying limits per order, etc...), it is still mainly speculation and luck. 

i assume sometimes we need to go with our gut feeling.  as some of us (at least me) are both AFOLs and collectors , i like to think those people have a grasp on what sets will be popular after retirement.  my honest opinion, it's not rocket science and people shouldn't depend on the same repeated posts about what sets should be bought. 

if i think a set is totally cool after building it, i'm buying it since others will probably feel the same way after missing out on it.  that is why people jumped all over 10226 SC, 10221 SSD, 10228 HH, 10197 FB and even sets back in the mid-late 2000s like 10179 MF, 10196 GC, 10181 EF and the first 2 modular blgs to name some.  To me, they were totally awesome builds and looked cool on display 

10224 fits into my thought process.

bottom line is to not wait too long in buying sets you think are cool. 

I think you hit the nail on the head. It is until you actually build a set, that you know what it is about. If you don't build Lego and just are an investor that keeps your boxes nice on the attic with fear to open one because you ruin a posible investment, you're unable to tell what is a hit or a miss. Numbers alone don't prove everything. And should Town Hall go in january, that would be a nice proof.

• Like 1

TH has a wedding scene, so this alone is going to be a perfect wedding gift for future AFOLs. It is also the tallest modular building to date,  AND it is a townhall. Now which lego town worth its salt does not have a townhall?

what really got me interested in the set was the lego designer video.  that's when i saw the floor layouts.  i just wish the front was more light gray (prob would look too much like a Court) and less dark orange.  however i understand the use of dark orange for the brick-look (no pun)

Astrid did a good job presenting the set's design and especially it's features.

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind about 'sold out', other status changes (except 'retired'), and a set's not showing up under various filters (this last just sounds like crappy website design), is that weird stuff happens all the time at LEGO Shop at Home without any broader meaning. Last Spring (2013), WVC flat out disappeared from LEGO Shop at Home for several months.  No listing, no set, nothing.  It was just gone.  This was right after the two earlier WV sets were marked 'retired'.  But WVC came back in the Fall, right on time, and was widely available for months before actually retiring.  I think the limit changes hint at Lego's attempt to manage current inventory, and nothing more.  Some sets have been limit 2 forever.  The first Minecraft set was limit 1 for a long time before becoming widely available and saturating all retail outlets for months.  Outside of truly inside information and publicly available info about a set's release date and 'normal retiring order', I don't think there's actually much to go on for any set.

My Town Hall order placed on 10/9/2014 just got cancelled. the free promo has been shipped out but the Town Hall got cancelled so it doesn't look like they are still producing these for the US market. Does anybody else get their Town Hall  order cancelled recently?

Seems it was NMM that mscheaf is referring too. He made the first observation of the limit 2 at LEGO Shop at Home

i think GhostDad beat me to it in different thread.

And i agree with him that by itself, change of the limit does not mean much. only when combined with right rumors, and stock levels, and top-shelf "tea" leaves it gets more potent.

i think GhostDad beat me to it in different thread.

And i agree with him that by itself, change of the limit does not mean much. only when combined with right rumors, and stock levels, and top-shelf "tea" leaves it gets more potent.

One thing to watch for is whether S@H will make the set available again after yesterday's mass cancellation . That's something I'm keep an eye on.

People point to it as most recently retired example (as well as an example of "well, Ed got hinted at its disappearance"). I was not in the game at the time, but didn't FB (and some other hyped 2013 sets, that did get retired) experience similar behavior? In my mind, backorder cancellations are the most telling thing. except that in case of SSD they actually did fill most of the backorders, instead of cancelling them. Also, SSD was at TOOS for quite some time during spring, which makes it different as well. 

I can't blame Fedex for damage this time - LEGO decided it was a good idea to fill 1 inch of empty space with 4 inches of bubble (on multiple packages).

I've had this same problem with a few packages from LEGO recently.  Not to mention their boxes fold like an accordion under minimal pressure.