How do sellers handle their store during vacation time?

Just curious...assuming you're gone for 7days, how do med-large scale sellers handle their Lego store on (ebay, amazon, bricklink etc.) while on vacation?  Do you post something regarding your absence, change your status, do nothing, advise buyers with a standard/auto reply you're be processing orders asap when you get back...or have another person do it for you? 

*any stories of missed sales or crazy buyers messing up your vacation time?

Or do some people find getting into Lego investing leaves you no time/funds left over for vacations ;)  JK. 

cool.  I don't have an active ebay store so didn't know.  That make is simple. 

Without ebay store, I had to raise the price on all my BIN listings to 10 times the price, to avoid re-listing from scratch. But I can imagine this being a hassle if you have few hundred listings. I am surprised eBay does not provide an option to suspend all listings for non-store users...

Without ebay store, I had to raise the price on all my BIN listings to 10 times the price, to avoid re-listing from scratch. But I can imagine this being a hassle if you have few hundred listings. I am surprised eBay does not provide an option to suspend all listings for non-store users...

Yes, before I had an EBay store, I had to go into each listing and put a disclaimer in there for when I'd return and be able to ship the items.  A BIG PAIN!

Your avatar made me chuckle.  I'm wearing my Cobra Kai t-shirt today and it says "Sweep The Leg" on the back.

haha.  The phase is classic.

On amazon, there is a setting on the account to make all listings "inactive"

Thanks.  I sell on amazon so will check that feature out. 

Heading out on vacation in April...I'm a small time seller so won't miss much sales haha.  But nice to know and advert any issues.   

• 10 months later...

If you don't have an eBay store, I'd recommend ending the listings and then using their relist/sell similar features when you return from vacation.

Even if you spell it out clearly for the buyers, there will still be some who buy and expect immediate shipment because they didn't read, and then you're risking negative feedback (defects on your account).

I believe (it's been awhile since I didn't have a store) that it's pretty easy to end all your listings from the My eBay page - you should be able to select like 200 listings at a time and end them in one action. But even if you have to end them one by one, it's no more work than raising all the prices into the won't-be-bought stratosphere one by one.

• Like 1

If you don't have an eBay store, I'd recommend ending the listings and then using their relist/sell similar features when you return from vacation.

Even if you spell it out clearly for the buyers, there will still be some who buy and expect immediate shipment because they didn't read, and then you're risking negative feedback (defects on your account).

I believe (it's been awhile since I didn't have a store) that it's pretty easy to end all your listings from the My eBay page - you should be able to select like 200 listings at a time and end them in one action. But even if you have to end them one by one, it's no more work than raising all the prices into the won't-be-bought stratosphere one by one.

yes you can end 200 at a time.   Just click the left top square to highlight the whole page and under "action" click end.

Then to relist go to unsold and do the same thing.  Click the top left square to highlight and relist to send them back through.

This is what I do... It's a bit of a pain since you have to eat the listing fee, but I usually know when I'm going away so any that end early (say 1-4 days) before I was planning on shutting down I just let end.

I assume a screen shot would be helpful to keep track of pricing when doing the Raise the price like TRU option.

If I end all listings how will that affect "good till canceled" listings once I relist?

they will be relisted the same way they ended so if GTC then it will be GTC again.  

Edited by ravenb99

Any thoughts on increasing the handling times?

I'll be leaving town on a Thursday afternoon and returning on MLK day (Monday). So a three business day handling time would work.

This can be done through the Turbo Lister.

Alternatively if you select 4 days (extended handling time) the person viewing the item will see that option as part of the listing info up top by the price.

I will only have 31 items that will be active. So it won't be too tedious to change pricing.

Do you keep a spreadsheet?

Not for ebay listings, but it's on my to do list.  So that I can keep track of profits.

I need to find a good way to take the price I pay for shipping from PayPal and subtract it from what the buyer paid (ebay) so that it can be factored into my profits. (sometimes I change the shipping to Priority from Parcel Select and it saves me money and gets to my buyer faster.)