Awesome Craigslist buy

LegoMason

I recently found an add on Craigslist and had about $400 to spend. I believe I hit the motherlode! It is about 50lbs and they were all sorted by color. I looked up a couple of the set numbers and was able to find instructions online and so far the sets are complete. The most interesting one is what looks to be a complete train set with a lot of track which was not shown on the pictures! I think the hardest part is going to be seperating everything but it is enough to warrant several bins/drawers. Does $400 seem reasonable for this lot? Its crazy how many pieces came with it including tons of 6X6, 6X8 and 6X10 plates, there are also several 6X12s. I cant wait to have some free time to put something together after sorting of course!

'>

It really depends what that 50lbs is composed of.  If it's all complete sets in nice condition, then I would say you will probably do well for yourself.  50lbs of just random pieces, then no, I would say you overpaid.  If you're finding complete sets, you should have no problem recouping your money and having extra to keep or sell as bulk.  Good luck.

So far I have sorted through a vast majority and found about 10 megablocks (Im certain there will be some more). As soon as I sort through it and build out a few things I will post some pictures. I think what Im most excited about is the train which Im going to get started on this week, I will post my progress.

So far I have sorted through a vast majority and found about 10 megablocks (Im certain there will be some more). As soon as I sort through it and build out a few things I will post some pictures. I think what Im most excited about is the train which Im going to get started on this week, I will post my progress.

Which train is it?

Its set 7898 which is a complete set with lots of extra track, however the train engine does not work. Upon inspection the batteries were corroded. I took out all of the batteries and clean the leads but I believe the damage is done. Anyone have any suggestions or is it a lost cause? Kind of a bummer that it doesnt work but I had planned to buy the passenger train set in the near future.

If I were to find another engine (one that isnt $500 on eBay) would it work with the current controller I have?

Its set 7898 which is a complete set with lots of extra track, however the train engine does not work. Upon inspection the batteries were corroded. I took out all of the batteries and clean the leads but I believe the damage is done. Anyone have any suggestions or is it a lost cause? Kind of a bummer that it doesnt work but I had planned to buy the passenger train set in the near future.

If I were to find another engine (one that isnt $500 on eBay) would it work with the current controller I have?

The battery compartment isn't directly attached to the motor in that train. Are you sure the engine doesn't work? Is the cable that attaches the two together corroded as well? Cleaning the contacts won't do you much good if the cable itself is toast. The IR receiver and the remote could also be defective - check that remote battery!!

If you are sure it's the motor itself, I suggest you just buy a complete replacement 9v motor assembly. They aren't very expensive on Bricklink even for a new one if this is a train you plan on keeping. You are looking for part x1688c01.

I was thinking of using Power Functions 8878 battery box with 88002 but curious if I can use the same IR Remote or if I had to get a new one. Im dying to get this up and running because watching my son push the train and cars around the track although its cute breaks my heart. It will blow his mind if he sees it going by himself. Hes only 5 but for his age does very well with the sets I have bought and remember the age on the box is just a suggestion ;)

I bought some bins and began the task of sorting what I have and let me say that sorting (sigh) yeah i have about 18 bins in various sizes that are all nearly full and still have 2 huge bags to go through. I will post what I have once Im done.

I appreciate all the feedback on this.

Do you own a volt meter? If so check the two contact points on the battery pack and you should see 9v. If not then you have a buildup of corrosion which you should be able to take care of with steel wool or sandpaper, or the batteries are in backwards.

The base with the receiver should still be good unless corrosion contaminated that as well.

Yesterday I Googled "How to clean corrosive batteries" and found that if you mix baking soda with water and take a Qtip and clean the leads and battery compartment that it will fix old toys. I said why not and gave it a try and it actually worked! The train is not working and I put together all the parts needed to complete the set so hopefully tonight I can finish it up. The look on my sons face was priceless when he saw the train going around the track. So far this lot has been a major score!