Canada Post Venture One Program

weakside

Any Canadians use this?  What delivery services do you normally use for shipping within our border?  Canpar, Fedex, UPS?  I assume there's other cheaper delivery services (domestic), but I recently signed up to Venture.  Saves you 8% on shipping (and over priced supplies which you should buy elsewhere anyways) and the best part is you pay for regular delivery but get priority faster service and free $100 insurance on every package.  For sets +$100 you can always chose to added in extra insurance.  

It's free to sign up.  They don't require you to fill in a business number.  The mail manager at my local Shoppers Drug Mart told me he signed up but didn't use his business number and you just fill in your regular info.  Obviously he's biased and prefers I stay with Canada Post.          

Using Canada Post is just convenient for me, so many locations and close to my house.  My in-laws sometimes gives me free stamps too so that off sets shipping costs :)    

I've heard about this but don't really know what it is? Is it just another deliver service like Fedex? The postage rates in Canada are a bit ridiculous with the price hikes this year, is it cheaper to ship larger sets with delivery services like UPS and Fedex? I haven't sold anything huge yet so have no experience with the pricing.

Yea, the Canada post person told me sticking with Canada Post was the cheapest and that fedex and UPS would charge 15%-20% more but they deliver faster... I don't know how important that is in the grand scheme of things. Would people buy from someone else if their items ships faster but cost more? Do you guys have experience with that?

Oh yeah, hello! New to this site and loving it!!

I haven't heard of this program, i'll have to check it out!

I use Canada post for all of my items. I also usually ship with just the standard service (non-express options) and have not had any complaints about a slow item delivery. During the postal strike a few years back i had to use UPS and i had customers complaining about the high cost for such small items. Even though it's their price and not mine, customers seem to put the blame on the seller :(

On the other hand i will not touch Canada Posts "Economy Ground" international service. That crap can take months to arrive...

If you use Canada Post (CP), a med (Hulk) or large package (Helms Deep) can cost +$20 depending if you add insurance and/or signature.  over $12 for sure bare bones.  I think P.O. boxes cost more from my limited experience or maybe it was just the location in rural prairies.  Can severely cut into your profit margin obviously.  With experience you can get a handle on shipping costs and know what to expect etc....adjust listing prices accordingly. 

I only use standard shipping too since the priority level is waaaay too expensive.  With Venture card, your package gets automatically upgraded to faster shipping.  2 business days vs 3-5 business days usually.  It's free right.  Buyers will be happier too.  Plus it's the free $100 insurance I like the most.  Knock on wood I haven't had any delivery/lost item issues but having coverage would save a lot of stress and ROI if something did go wrong.  CP is pretty good at reimbursement too that one time I used it for a lost package to a friend.  Instead of arguing and going back and forth because of a lost item (with buyer, ebay, amazon, paypal etc), CP will cover the first $100 free.  If I ship out something +$200 I normally add another $100 insurance just for peace of mind.  There's enough margin for me to do it and avoid unnessessary hassles.  I'm a small time investor/flipper so the less stress in my 'hobby' the better!   

As mentioned, I only buy and sell within Canada so have no experience with international shippers.  So far no complaints with CP.  The Venture card cuts downs my costs and it's free to sign up.           

My friend lent me her card today as I had a large parcel to send (within Canada). I think I was able to save a couple dollars, and I got the free $100 insurance, which is nice! I signed up last week so hoping to get my own card soon. I still don't really understand the program LOL but it will save me money, all the better!

Guest ph4tb0i

I avoid Canada Post like the plague. The more I send through USPS the happier I am knowing that I'm hopefully contributing to the death of this pathetic institution. 

welcome back ph4tbOi :) yeah I know...it has issues... I know people that work for CP, it's badly run and tax payers etc etc... don't want to get into the issues. just for some sellers CP is the best or easiest option and this topic gives info on the venture card.