Why is the Winter Village so popular?

legoaddiction

I'm with Mos Eisley, not sure to what exactly you are referring, but I will throw in my .02. I personally love the WV theme as a whole. My mother has a HUGE department 56 christmas theme porcelain houses. They all have lights and whatnot. (I think they are the Dickens Village variety.) Anyways, as I said HUGE, she has all her houses and accessories tightly packed on an 8'x4' ish plywood table. It's just an awesome spectacle to see. I love my mom's willage that she puts up every year. I believe Lego is doing the same exact thing here. They are using their personal take on the villages that people do have, but with Lego. I managed to catch up and buy all the retired and current WV sets and set up our own village. I also enjoy the fact that all the sets at retail are actually pretty affordable. I really like the cottage, even though I never grew up in a house anywhere near that, let alone in a place that snows, but it brings back many memories growing up sitting by the christmas tree with my mom playing with my toys and junk. It will become my own family tradition to buy whatever new WV sets Lego releases as they come out and expand on it.

• Like 4

He's referring to the winter cottage as the particular set, I don't think we will see any major increase for this set in the u.k till next xmas, rrp 90, you can still get it for 100.

I personally find these sets really attractive and have one myself to build - it's going to be our Christmas tradition :).  I'm stumped as to why there are such huge variances in taste for this theme across the globe, but it does seem that the UK doesn't have so much love for this set.  Ah well.

Guest TabbyBoy

It's popular because we have "proper" Winters "up over" compared to "down under".  We may feel the same with BBQ and surfing scenes. ;-)

I'm thinking of building a MOC next Xmas to complement what I have, something like a giant Swiss Chalet/Hotel.  Anybody got a Michael Schumacher minifig that they don't want?

The Winter Village series was one of the catalysts that brought me out of my dark age (the other being the Imperial Flagship).  The sets are well designed, affordable, and look great displayed in a Christmas scene around the holidays.  What's not to like?

I'm personally hoping for a re-issue of the holiday train, really wish I could have that going around my village, but after market prices for it are ridiculous.

I think it is because once your start collecting them for your winter display you want them all. I had to buy the Toy Shop for twice retail last year because it was the only one we didn't have.

Being seasonal and 1 1/2 year runs probably helps too. I have noticed though that in years past as soon as Christmas is over these things are sold out or very hard to find. However this years set doesn't seem to be doing as well. It was still on Amazon last I checked and the Lego store near here has stacks of them yet. I'm personally passing on investing in the newest one (winter village market I believe it is).

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

Winter village market will probably be re-released next year, the cottage is probably not coming back. For people starting a collection, the cottage is going to be the one they buy first (from the secondary market) 9 times out of ten...imo.

They will not build another cottage, they will continue along the ideas of toy shop, market etc. Makes you wonder what they will come up with next.

Not having the cottage would be like having lots of castle sets but no castle.

Here are some photos of the winter theme, the cottage is definitely the best and I don't think I'm only saying it as this is the only set I have from the theme. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=lego+winter+village&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=33BCB7C1BEE48E4F0D29B6F6388BDC8E3FA92D38&selectedIndex=0

I am hoping to get a couple markets next year though for sure, that set is also very good.

The earlier sets are going to turn out very collectable I feel, surpassing any amount for a town city house from the respective years.

When I lived in Farnham, they would have a little Xmas market not too dissimilar from the lego set which I think captures more essence of the season, I think the other sets are just buildings with snow on them.

Its snow man! I didn't realize how much I missed snow and those snowy Christmas' until I moved down to the south. It just makes everything prettier.

And I think a big part is how all the sets fit together. DOn't you know those people that collect all the Christmas Snowy buildings and figures? We all know one of those people.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

I feel the same way about LOTR and Hobbit sets. Boring movies, boring books, boring LEGO sets. To each their own.

well that wasn't your normal hilarious post

to the op I know gf loves building sets that are only up for display for the holidays mainly the winter ones and HH for halloween