May have to change your store name on eBay if it says lego

Lego just put a vero claim in about my store name. Luckily eBay didnt just remove my listings but is giving me 5 days to change it.

In reality it's somewhat understandable - and doesn't bother me although all I sell is lego. But it's still funny fake lego figures are everywhere but my name gets the attention. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Using Lego in a store name is a huge problem for Lego because it endangers the continuing viability of their trademark by diluting the strength of the brand.  Terms like laundromat, videotape, thermos and kerosene were originally legally-protected trademarks that lost their protection as a result of widespread use.  If Lego didn't protect its trademark in this way, it would quickly lose the legal protection and every plastic building brick out there would be called a lego.  Actions like this are why we don't walk into a TRU and see a wall full of Mega-Bloks lego sets and Kre-O lego sets.

• Like 1

I used to do a ton of custom lego designs and sold quite a bit on ebay.  I made custom superhero minifigs, buildings, and so forth.  Great business, but a lot of work.  I used to put "lego" in the title and description and soon after I got a cease and desist from TLG attornies.  I was able to use terms along the lines of "made w LEGO bricks" but had to capitlize LEGO and put a registered trademark after the "O".  They stalked me for months it was a bit insane but they are extremely particular and will seek and destroy as needed.  I changed things as needed and all ended on a positive note but it was quite the shocking situation.

Lego just put a vero claim in about my store name. Luckily eBay didnt just remove my listings but is giving me 5 days to change it.

In reality it's somewhat understandable - and doesn't bother me although all I sell is lego. But it's still funny fake lego figures are everywhere but my name gets the attention. Lol

Tell your Mom, "you hit the big time". TLG is gunning for you.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

Just name your store "Not LEGO Figure Heaven" and list it under the LEGO category. They guys from China and Hong Kong have been getting away with it for months.

I liked your term of bootleg'o'

I registered a domain a while back with LEGO in it. They were on me like white on rice.

Curious though, do they go after web stores which do not contain the word lego, but sell LEGO? In other words do they attack "non authorized reseller" web sites/stores?

I was wondering that. Looking back it was dumb to not think that would happen, although I have seen plenty of other stores with it so I didn't think twice doing it. Whats funny is it took them 6 months.

But I do wonder how they don't know I am not an authorized reseller. Of course, maybe Ebay gave them all my info.

It doesn't matter if you're an authorized reseller or not. Being an authorized reseller gives you the right to buy product directly from TLG, not use their trademarks as part of your store name.

I was more wondering if they come after you for selling their product online (say i own brickshop.com) and sell LEGO, but I am not an authorized re-seller.Do they have a problem with this? Many electronics companies have started going after people that do this. 

hmmm. same policy as bricklink.   Maybe i'll go with "J A Is Online's OGEL store"

• 2 weeks later...