$12,500 AFA CERTIFIED 10179 MILLENNIUM FALCON

Ed Mack

• 2 weeks later...

It's amazing what graded items go for sometimes. At 9.25, it is a pretty high grade, and is a first edition. The listing claims it was the highest grade ever listed. I do see a 9.5 graded one listed right now as well, by the same seller, but it's not a first edition. I guess I'd call it surprising, but I don't think it's impossible someone paid nearly $12.5K for it. I've considered getting a set or two graded. More for the experience than anything. I want to see first hand what some of my sets would rate. The way it's written, I don't know that I have anything over an ~8.5. But I have a pretty discerning eye for "flaws", and I wonder if I'm being too stringent. I've thought of taking figuring out which of my smaller sets is in the best condition and seeing what it would rate.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The condition of the box is getting graded(considering its sealed) you know there are many sealed sets in various conditions.

Right, but the UCS Falcon was the only set I know of that came double boxed, so I would just think they would all be (within a very small range) the "same" from the factory. That's opposed to sets that actually sat on a shelf and were more or less handled by store employees. No biggie, I'm just saying the double boxing, I would think would make this set unique in that 99.99% of them would be graded very very high.

Don't Kill me, but what does "GRADED AFA 9.25" mean?

9.25 is a pretty high grading. According to the Action Figure Authority, AFA grading "scale serves to better assess miniscule flaws which can differentiate two identical items which are fresh from a case or the store shelves, by including more grade options at the upper end of the grading scale."

You can read more about this at: http://www.toygrader.com/grading_scales.aspx

According tho their scale on the site, 9.25 is considered to be AFA Gold Level Condition, which I assume is relatively high. You can see the scale that they have on the attached image.

I am getting guilty for posting so much since on that little "Latest Forum Posts" tab, I am responsible for 5/6, so I am going to take a break. However, I can't resist asking: Where is everyone?!

9.25 is a pretty high grading. According to the Action Figure Authority, AFA grading "scale serves to better assess miniscule flaws which can differentiate two identical items which are fresh from a case or the store shelves, by including more grade options at the upper end of the grading scale."

According tho their scale on the site, 9.25 is considered to be AFA Gold Level Condition, which I assume is relatively high. You can see the scale that they have on the attached image.

I am getting guilty for posting so much since on that little "Latest Forum Posts" tab, I am responsible for 5/6, so I am going to take a break. However, I can't resist asking: Where is everyone?!

People are busy on Friday night.... It was dead during the Super Bowl too.

People are busy on Friday night.... It was dead during the Super Bowl too. Well, I actually was watching the Super Bowl. Something on tonight?

• 4 months later...

That is a little high for me. I can understand that it is a graded set, but that is still to much for me. Most people do not have that kind of money to spend on Legos. There is a very limited market for this type of set. I wondering if the set will ever be sold. Every time I look at the 10179 Millennium Falcon page, it is still there and it is not sold. The only person I think would pay that kind of money for this set, would be a die hard Lego collector, who wants graded MISB lego sets.

The only person I think would pay that kind of money for this set, would be a die hard Lego collector, who wants graded MISB lego sets.

Profound thinking...I agree. Either that...or a high school nerd just got his insurance settlement after losing his leg from a traffic accident. Those are the only 2 buyer profiles I can think of.