Fast and Free shipping.

matrosov

Ok, this really bugs me so I have to ask. Time and Time again I come across items priced around $20 that have fast and free shipping attached to them.  Those are in the box sets that would not fit in the large flat rate priority but even if they did how do those power plus sellers make profit?  Flat rate ship priority is $17 Less ebay/paypal fees and you have 10 cents profit.  Am I missing something?

Yes, its cheaper not to use the flat rate boxes and provide your own box.

Ok, this really bugs me so I have to ask. Time and Time again I come across items priced around $20 that have fast and free shipping attached to them.  Those are in the box sets that would not fit in the large flat rate priority but even if they did how do those power plus sellers make profit?  Flat rate ship priority is $17 Less ebay/paypal fees and you have 10 cents profit.  Am I missing something?

I'd guess that the sets were purchased in bulk at a discount, and if they are selling a large volume they're getting a break on some ebay fees as they would be powersellers.  Still, the profit margin has got to be pretty small.  Perhaps if you are really efficient and you mix these in with plenty of other sets in your portfolio it might be worth it.  Hard to see someone making any series cash, though.

I was just looking around sold listings trying to price mine and came across  a lot of those fast ****** free's.  Guess if they are located in the middle of the country they'd get pretty sweet deal, but east coast to west coast ship can get really expensive really quick.  

Fast and free doesn't necessarily mean they're shipping priority. Depending on location between buyer and seller, standard and even economy shipping can get a fast and free designation because eBay's averages show it'll likely get there within 4 days.

Regarding how people make a profit at it, who knows? Maybe they got a deal, maybe they're trying to liquidate and get out, maybe they're bad at math and don't realize they're losing money (not kidding here, a hefty number of eBay sellers don't have the faintest idea how much they're making, or not), maybe they stole the items so any profit is all profit, maybe they have or know someone with an employee discount...

• Like 1

I offer free shipping on everything I sell. Living near the center of the country helps a lot for Fast and Free. For free shipping I typically use what's cheapest which for anything 2 lbs and over is FedEx SmartPost which is what I typically offer as free. Then for a few dollars more I offer Express Mail but have yet to have anyone pay the extra for faster shipping. I still get lots and lots of feedback about how fast my shipping was on an item. I try to ship the same day as sold and always within 24 hours except on weekends. Average size sets going to West Coast run $8-$10 for me. Larger sets would be in the $20-$35 range.

Regarding how people make a profit at it, who knows? Maybe they got a deal, maybe they're trying to liquidate and get out, maybe they're bad at math and don't realize they're losing money (not kidding here, a hefty number of eBay sellers don't have the faintest idea how much they're making, or not), maybe they stole the items so any profit is all profit, maybe they have or know someone with an employee discount...

Yes, many sellers are clueless (regarding whether they are making a profit). I often purchase items that end up costing the seller more to ship the item, than what I paid for the entire purchase.

That's one of the worst things nowadays about having so many re-sellers. It's bad enough that there are so many sellers willing to accept prices that are way too low, but then you have some sellers who are selling at a loss, never know it, and somehow never will. It gets hard to compete with people who are willing to accept a loss.

• Like 1

I have a question on that too. I listed free economy shipping (USPS Parcel post is what I selected. eBay gave my listing the "fast and free shipping" label. I double checked and it was free economy shipping. I don't know why. It even gave an unrealistic estimated delivery date.

I have a question on that too. I listed free economy shipping (USPS Parcel post is what I selected. eBay gave my listing the "fast and free shipping" label. I double checked and it was free economy shipping. I don't know why. It even gave an unrealistic estimated delivery date.

If you're signed in and looking at your own listings, you're going to see eBay's delivery estimate for shipping from your own zip code to your own zip code. A buyer living farther away will see different estimates, and depending on the distance, May or may not see the fast and free logo.

• Like 1