Asslema from Tunisia!

Howdy. I thought I should introduce myself since I never really did that. I'm Michael. I joined BP in August of 2012. I'm originally from the US of A, but I've been living in Tunisia (North Africa) for a little more than two years now. 

I haven't posted much in the Forum because I feel like I don't have much to add of any value. I am, therefore, a lurker. I've been known to salivate over the insane deals of which you all regularly partake. I've already used up all my family connections in the States for receiving and storing my various shipments of Lego.  :twitch:

Here in Tunisia I have found four stores with Lego, but their selections are depressing. One of those stores has only one Lego--a Prince of Persia set that may or may not have been dragged through the streets on its way into the store. I don't buy any here because I'd be paying at least twice European retail. If I had to guess how many Lego sets of any size there are in country right now I'd say 50-70. Most of those are City or Creator or buckets--very, very few licensed sets.

One cool thing about living in Tunisia has been visiting the south where various Tatooine scenes were shot for Star Wars. Over New Year's I took my family down to Matmata to see the troglodyte hotel (Hotel Sidi Driss) that was the Lars interior homestead (pictured below). Didn't make it out west to Nefta to see Mos Espa because there were too many army checkpoints and threats of terrorist activities for my taste. Maybe in a few months...

So that's my story. I really appreciate this site and all the work that Ed & Jeff have put into it. I also love reading all the great insight and tips from everyone. Keep it up!

Oh, and Luke says hi.

post-1815-0-30734700-1391358960_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-02510400-1391358972_thumb.jp

Wow thats pretty cool.

Hopefully you didn't see anyone burnt up laying in front of that place... Awkward.

No, but don't tell Mark Hamill. Actually what you find in front are kids selling pictures with their falcons or random trinkets and doodads. Like anywhere else in the tourist zones of Tunisia.

Great pic, welcome!

Thanks! Some of the original set is still intact--for example, if you look closely at the second pic you can see writing on the wood frame. It says "LARS HOMESTEAD OPENING 'B' (fill in)". A lot of the set details have been painted yellow for some reason, but at least it's mostly all there. Minus a couple moisture vaporators.

Quite a long overdue introduction, Michael. I remember you posting a little bit before then seemed to vanish so hopefully we will see more of you around these parts perhaps? Welcome to the site all the same.

Haha yes I'm on my way out of the shadows. I hope the new close-up avatar of my handlebar mustache (R.I.P.) makes up for any pain caused by my disappearance. 

Nice pictures, thank you for sharing. Is there any market for resellers where you live? Always interesting how things differ in one region of the world compared to others

I can't imagine there being much of a market for resellers here--I can't say for sure because I've never tried to resell here. There's really not a marketplace for selling much of anything. The only place that comes to mind is a classifieds site similar to Craigslist...but that's mainly just for vehicles and real estate. I think the only buyers of Lego would be foreigners and I would be really surprised if there were even just a handful of AFOLs here. Tunisian kids mostly get cheap Chinese junk toys--parents don't want to spend a lot of money on toys.

I just got an official PO box a few weeks ago so I'm going to try to buy some small sets and have them shipped here. Only problem is finding sellers that will ship to Tunisia!