Future sets, themes, or licenses you would like to see

I wonder why LEGO does not jump into Football (Soccer you Americans). A Football theme is unarguably  a big win nowadays. Or maybe they want to avoid the too much politics and high royalties football involves nowadays?

3569-1.png

Lego did a whole football/soccer theme already back in the early 2000's. See brickset and the image you posted.

16 hours ago, StormBricks said:

I wonder why LEGO does not jump into Football (Soccer you Americans). A Football theme is unarguably  a big win nowadays. Or maybe they want to avoid the too much politics and high royalties football involves nowadays?

Who can say really how much it would be for LEGO to pony up royalty fees just for one football team alone in today's world assuming they would design minifigures around real players and then there are the inevitable molds for new parts bringing on even further costs. I did enjoy the sports sets they released years ago and the prospect of the theme being renewed exciting. However the risks and initial costs may simply be too high for any decent returns just to break even among a number of other things we haven't considered that only the company would understand.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

The theme I would love to see is "WORLD WAR II".

I think this will almost certainly never happen; it goes against Lego's pacifist ideals.  Having said that, they violate those ideals every now and again.

The day they start making WWII kits is the day their profits triple! 

Totally forgot this thread was a thing.  I welcome this zombie thread back to life.

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

if the coliseum is any indication...this hypothetical  line would be Visibly appealing but terrible set to build.

Word.

I love the big sets, I just don't have the patience to build them.  After building 10030, I died.  And it turned me off big sets.  1000-1500 piece sets are about my threshold now. I just wouldn't have the patience for a sets like that.  And I definitely don't have the patience for the Coliseum.

I know my daughter would love to see the Avatar: The Last Airbender sets return.  I wouldn't mind Spongebob coming back, either.  It's been a long time for both of those, and I'd be curious to see what refreshed sets would look like.

National Lampoons Xmas Vacation (GWP would be Eddie in the white robe pumping out the septic) 

Eddie and the RV  

Clarks house all lit up with Xmas lights.

The Santa & reindeer decoration on the roof.

Brick head would be the old man and the squirrel in his hair.

And a ridiculously large $800 Technic crane. 

The Matrix - just give me a 2,500+ piece Nebuchadnezzar with the crew from the original movie and Agent Smith, and I'm happy with a one-off.  Of course, more would be welcome.

Star Trek - tons of ships and tons of minifigures.  Perfect for Lego.  Just not sure they'd ever do Star Trek and Star Wars at the same time

GI Joe - again, tons of ships/vehicles and tons of minifigures.  Just seems doubtful Hasbro would ever license this out to Lego

MOTU - Mega Construx is killing it with some of their sets (hello, Castle Grayskull).  I can only imagine what Lego would do with this line.

TMNT - it's really pathetic that Mega Blox did such a superior job with this theme compared to Lego.  Lego should take another swipe at this and go vintage all the way - focus only on the original comic and the 80's cartoon.  Nothing beyond that.

The Simpsons - I'd really like to see this come back.  Just do one big set every year or two and sprinkle in some new minifigures in those sets.  Off the top of my head - Android's Dungeon, Krusty Burger, Springfield Elementary

Spaceballs - I'd be very happy with just Eagle 5 and a full compliment of minifigures

Architecture - I want to see this get back to its roots, with a focus on actual architecture - not monuments/landmarks.  Give me more FLW, and other styles of architecture that the line hasn't touched yet.  Oh, and give me a 10,000+ piece Castle Neuschwanstein

LOTR - I'd like to see this come back as a UCS line.  Just give us massive castles, towers, buildings or battles

The Muppets - I'd take one big Muppet Theater set, and a bunch of smaller sets for minifigures

Bioshock - would love to see Rapture in Lego form

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation - if we can have the Home Alone house, I want the Griswold's house...and an RV out front

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Dr Jedi said:

The Matrix - just give me a 2,500+ piece Nebuchadnezzar with the crew from the original movie and Agent Smith, and I'm happy with a one-off.  Of course, more would be welcome.

Star Trek - tons of ships and tons of minifigures.  Perfect for Lego.  Just not sure they'd ever do Star Trek and Star Wars at the same time

GI Joe - again, tons of ships/vehicles and tons of minifigures.  Just seems doubtful Hasbro would ever license this out to Lego

MOTU - Mega Construx is killing it with some of their sets (hello, Castle Grayskull).  I can only imagine what Lego would do with this line.

TMNT - it's really pathetic that Mega Blox did such a superior job with this theme compared to Lego.  Lego should take another swipe at this and go vintage all the way - focus only on the original comic and the 80's cartoon.  Nothing beyond that.

The Simpsons - I'd really like to see this come back.  Just do one big set every year or two and sprinkle in some new minifigures in those sets.  Off the top of my head - Android's Dungeon, Krusty Burger, Springfield Elementary

Spaceballs - I'd be very happy with just Eagle 5 and a full compliment of minifigures

Architecture - I want to see this get back to its roots, with a focus on actual architecture - not monuments/landmarks.  Give me more FLW, and other styles of architecture that the line hasn't touched yet.  Oh, and give me a 10,000+ piece Castle Neuschwanstein

LOTR - I'd like to see this come back as a UCS line.  Just give us massive castles, towers, buildings or battles

The Muppets - I'd take one big Muppet Theater set, and a bunch of smaller sets for minifigures

Bioshock - would love to see Rapture in Lego form

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation - if we can have the Home Alone house, I want the Griswold's house...and an RV out front

As much as I would like to see a lot of the 80s references as well, for the most part they are going to be a pipe dream.  But we have seen the possibilities with themes like Ghostbusters.  My personal list would be:

Lord of the Rings - So much not covered from the original sets.  They were great but didn't seem to sell really well

Indiana Jones - Not sure if the next movie will ever happen but there is still some cool material to work with

Architecture - wholeheartedly agree with you that this needs to go back to actual architecture and not just "buildings you know" 

Roman Empire - This was supposedly a theme in production that never made it.  It would be awesome.  

Game of Thrones - I know, will NEVER happen, but the possibilities are endless, kind of like GRRM's writing speed.  

Disney/Pixar - Would like to see more sets from this genre geared towards adults.  The UP house was a perfect example.  

Castle/Medieval - More along the lines of the new Blacksmith shop/Medieval Market/Village Raid, etc.  Buildings in the style of Fishing Store set in the middle ages.

Pirate Ships - Why don't we get quality Pirate ships anymore?  It took Ideas Barracuda to get something this way again what wasn't a crap set.  

I’m not sure Hasbro would be against it anymore. They just licensed Super7 to produce Ultimate Transformers figures (non-transforming action figures) which seem to directly compete with their own R.E.D. line. They also licensed Super7 to make Power Rangers Ultimate figures, which certainly compete with Hasbro’s own Lightning Collection. It seems like Hasbro is getting kind of loose with the licensing of its properties. But maybe LEGO would think GI Joe is too military-real to make.

1 hour ago, coelian said:

I wouldn't mind LOTR coming back and I'm hopeful with the new series coming on Amazon. Sadly, I don't have a single Uruk Hai or Rohirrim.

I feel like LOTR should be an evergreen line.  That it needs to come back like Harry Potter.  It should be like Star Wars.

1 hour ago, Huskers1236 said:

Game of Thrones - I know, will NEVER happen, but the possibilities are endless, kind of like GRRM's writing speed.    

Mega had a huge display at Comic Con a couple years ago.  It looked like they were going to start a nice lineup.  But it looks like it fizzled out.  I think it was around the same time as the final season of GoT had come out.  I'm sure that didn't help one bit.  

I put together the dragon, and while it looks cool, it's definitely a different experience than putting together LEGO.

My favorite part of the line was the architecture-style Red Keep they did.  I would have loved a whole line of those, similar to the way they showed the different lands/buildings in the opening credits.

1 hour ago, Bricklectic said:

Star Trek is an interesting idea. Im shocked it hasnt been made yet

Mega Bloks did a large NCC-1701 Enterprise several years ago, and Kre-O did a handful of sets just before or after that.  But that's been about it AFAIK.  Not sure if anyone has the license right now.

1 hour ago, Jivepicnic said:

I’m not sure Hasbro would be against it anymore. They just licensed Super7 to produce Ultimate Transformers figures (non-transforming action figures) which seem to directly compete with their own R.E.D. line. They also licensed Super7 to make Power Rangers Ultimate figures, which certainly compete with Hasbro’s own Lightning Collection. It seems like Hasbro is getting kind of loose with the licensing of its properties. But maybe LEGO would think GI Joe is too military-real to make.

That would be great if Hasbro were open to it.  For the longest time, it seemed that Hasbro would roll out a new Kre-o set with SDCC and sort of keep that line alive in that way.  But if Kre-o GI Joe is finally dead, Lego would be foolish not to pursue it.  The military aspect of GI Joe would be an interesting test of Lego's intermittent hypocrisy on the topic.  Some of the vehicles are a bit sci-fi looking, and others appear more realistic.  In the 80's cartoon, the ammo was always laser blasts, and (almost) no one ever got killed, which would make it seem okay by Lego standards.  This could be a long-lived line, if done correctly.  

1 hour ago, Huskers1236 said:

Oh, and I forgot one.  A Stadium Series.  Wrigley Field?  Yes Please.

To this point, I'm not overly enthusiastic about the stadium line.  I have no interest in the current offering, but no matter how it sells, I feel certain that Lego will make at least one American stadium and monitor the results.  Something like Wrigley or Fenway would seem the most likely choices, but I'm not sure if these sets will be bought by the masses, or just fans of the associated teams.  I also wonder (and this goes against every fiber of my being) if this line would do better on a slightly smaller scale - where it could reasonably sit on a desktop, and not require its own dedicated piece of furniture to display.

6 minutes ago, Dr Jedi said:

Mega Bloks did a large NCC-1701 Enterprise several years ago, and Kre-O did a handful of sets just before or after that.  But that's been about it AFAIK.  Not sure if anyone has the license right now.

That would be great if Hasbro were open to it.  For the longest time, it seemed that Hasbro would roll out a new Kre-o set with SDCC and sort of keep that line alive in that way.  But if Kre-o GI Joe is finally dead, Lego would be foolish not to pursue it.  The military aspect of GI Joe would be an interesting test of Lego's intermittent hypocrisy on the topic.  Some of the vehicles are a bit sci-fi looking, and others appear more realistic.  In the 80's cartoon, the ammo was always laser blasts, and (almost) no one ever got killed, which would make it seem okay by Lego standards.  This could be a long-lived line, if done correctly.  

To this point, I'm not overly enthusiastic about the stadium line.  I have no interest in the current offering, but no matter how it sells, I feel certain that Lego will make at least one American stadium and monitor the results.  Something like Wrigley or Fenway would seem the most likely choices, but I'm not sure if these sets will be bought by the masses, or just fans of the associated teams.  I also wonder (and this goes against every fiber of my being) if this line would do better on a slightly smaller scale - where it could reasonably sit on a desktop, and not require its own dedicated piece of furniture to display.

I think the smaller scale would work for a generic stadium/field, but to get the nuances of historic stadiums would take a larger scale to look right.  Manchester was done well, I just have no interest in it as I don't follow the sport.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...