Mass Selling my Fathers Collection

LegoManiac1984

Hey All, I have the unfortunate task of selling my dads collection! I had someone advise me to sell the minifigs separate and then just sell all the sets as lbs of bulk pieces. I was wondering if that is really the best route considering half of the sets are discontinued. The majority of the sets are Star Wars but also include many others. Discontinued sets are of the old clone wars era, Hoth, and Ewok, and some specific ships. Before I list anything, i was just wondering what some more expert opinions are. Condition of all sets are that they are displayed in varying combat scenarios or hug as if they are flying in a dedicated space. They are all well cared for and all have extra pieces added to them weather its would be smooth skinns on all aircraft, or extra translucent color disks, dots, cones etc. There are no boxes or instructions. anyway, If anyone could let me know what the best way of offloading these at a fair price would be, I and my Family would appreciate it. Maybe someday i could accumulate an equally awesome set. but for now, ill just stick with my lego tattoos... Thanks, C

Wow, that's an amazing collection. There's NO WAY you should sell these as bulk bricks. You won't make nearly as much money. It should be relatively easy to identify and sell the sets as individual lots. Or as a little easier option, sell them as grouped into themes... Hoth, Endor, etc. There's a whole bunch of money to be made there. Let us know when you start to unload them, I bet there are lots of us here who would be interested!

With no boxes and instructions you should sell each set of minifigures separate from each set's buildings/vehicles. This will get you a little more money than selling each set with its minifigures but it will be twice as much work shipping and listing. Don't sell the complete sets as bulk by the pound, that will get you the least amount of money. Although it is the least amount of work for you. You will need to decide how much time you want to put into this, time is money! The Instruction Manuals and parts lists are online so you could check each set to see if it is complete. People will pay more if you list the set as 100% complete. But this step will take a lot of time. If you are sure your father kept each set complete and didn't mix the bricks up at all, then you might want to take the risk of saying they are 100% complete knowing someone may find a mistake. Good luck, the pics look great, it is a nice collection!

Hey All,

I have the unfortunate task of selling my dads collection!

I had someone advise me to sell the minifigs separate and then just sell all the sets as lbs of bulk pieces.

I was wondering if that is really the best route considering half of the sets are discontinued.

The majority of the sets are Star Wars but also include many others.

Discontinued sets are of the old clone wars era, Hoth, and Ewok, and some specific ships.

Before I list anything, i was just wondering what some more expert opinions are.

Condition of all sets are that they are displayed in varying combat scenarios or hug as if they are flying in a dedicated space. They are all well cared for and all have extra pieces added to them weather its would be smooth skinns on all aircraft, or extra translucent color disks, dots, cones etc.

There are no boxes or instructions.

anyway,

If anyone could let me know what the best way of offloading these at a fair price would be, I and my Family would appreciate it.

Maybe someday i could accumulate an equally awesome set. but for now, ill just stick with my lego tattoos...

Thanks,

C

Nice collection - Definitely not bulk. You would even be able to list these photos on ebay & still get much, much more than bulk prices (but don't). There are many customs & modifications here which could be tricky, since I don't believe you are a Lego nut. When you do list them, don't say complete - since it is likely that your Dad customized many of the sets (He did a great job doing that though). You could honestly say that it appears complete & might have customized upgrades. Include lots of photos (interiors/exteriors), & you should be good. By the way, he didn't glue these sets together, did he? If he did that is bad news, since most of the value would disappear. I would start with the UCS sets & the 10195 Republic Dropship with AT-OT - I think that once you see that value of these, it should keep you motivated to keep going.

Wow that collection is Amazing!! Im really new at this kind of stuff and this might seem like a stupid question but do most LEGO sellers, dealing in used sets sell the minifigs separately?

Some do, some don't. The minifigures, depending on the set, might be worth more separately than together with the set. Go figure. Sometimes you can sell a used set with no minifigures for quite a bit, but on other occasions, it drastically reduces the used set's value. Overall, a complete(pieces, minifigures, box, instructions) used set is worth the most.