How is it possible an Ebay can pre-sell 96 movie series boxes?

I noticed an auction up on Ebay for the Minifigure Collectors Series Lego Movie boxes(60ct) and the seller in question has pre-sold 96 of them already, with a shipping estimate of February 20 etc.  How is it even possible this seller can get ahold of this many of this item, let along guarantee the buyers they will have one when they aren't for sale on Lego's site yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Movie-Minifigures-Series-12-New-box-case-of-60-Sealed-Packets-Lego-71004-/191046321073?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item2c7b3f83b1

If the seller didn't have good feedback I'd almost think they were in the process of a cash grab with $19,000+ pre-orders.

I'm not talking about a violation of Ebay's rules, more so wondering how they can acquire this amount of sets when it's not for sale yet.  It would be far fetched they are a wholesale buyer from Lego.com when all they are selling are minifigures and you're required to sell several of all theme types. I know the location of the seller and there are no Lego stores nearby, let alone much shopping other than one Walmart.  So why can they order them already, and that many, when someone such as myself can't?

I'm not talking about a violation of Ebay's rules, more so wondering how they can acquire this amount of sets when it's not for sale yet.  It would be far fetched they are a wholesale buyer from Lego.com when all they are selling are minifigures and you're required to sell several of all theme types. I know the location of the seller and there are no Lego stores nearby, let alone much shopping other than one Walmart.  So why can they order them already, and that many, when someone such as myself can't?

Since they're unlikely to tell you, you'll probably just have to keep wondering.  Based on their feedback and experience, I'd say they probably have it covered.

And, just because they sell only Minifigs on eBay doesn't mean they're not selling other Lego elsewhere, or they could be a purchasing agent for a toy store or toy department, they could own a toy store or manage one, they could have an arrangement with a local toy store manager etc.

Edited to add: They could have a relationship with multiple regional or national toy dealers who have wholesale privileges with Lego to direct purchase from those dealers, they could know the trucking routes and be planning a magnificent heist... really, the possibilities are almost endless.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1