3450 - Statue of Liberty

justgod

Hello I purchased set 3450 recently and am planning on keeping it for another year. The outer box lid has been removed, but all 4 inner white boxes are still sealed. My question is this: Are the instructions included in one of the boxes? I have searched high and low for this information but cannot find anything. If the instructions were included separately, I would like to know so I can figure out my next course of action. ( I understand if this needs to be moved elsewhere ) Thanks!

Yikes I wish I could remember for sure, but I thought they were not in one of the smaller boxes. You could carefully shake each box and listen for a book sliding around. I wish I could actually find my instructions. I lost them several years ago but I still have the box and all pieces. I have moved a few times through the years and they have never turned up.

Thank you for the help. I did shake the boxes but there was nothing definitive. I sent an e-mail to two sellers on Bricklink that have the same set in an open box. The person with original B & W box version claims the instructions are in one of the white boxes while the seller of the color outer box says they are loose. Interesting. Picked this set up as a long term investment (unless I get an offer I can't refuse!) and really wanted to know exactly what I had before sitting on it for so long. I am sure it will be some time before I can move it.

Long Term investment in sealed condition eh? DId you get it for under $1000? I have often thought of selling mine for a quick $750 bucks or so, but its so many pieces and its so fun to build. It was my first set out of my dark ages too, so I just can't sell it. If I could only find those darn instructions though. I wouldnt mind repurchasing them used, but $100 on bricklink seems steep. Now that I think about it, I think they did originally come in one of the white boxes. I have the B&W version.

Long Term investment in sealed condition eh? DId you get it for under $1000?

I wish. Might have been a lesson on my part. And an expensive one at that. Long-term shelf sitter.

what is this "build" concept people keep speaking of? If it involves opening up sealed boxes...its not for me ;)

I am with you! If I can pick up open sets here and there, I love to build them. Just can't justify opening anything that is sealed for my own enjoyment, although I would love to build this one.

What kind of condition is the outer box in?

Outer box is in excellent condition, IMO, but that obviously changes with a set like this. Two of the seals were peeled off, taking part of the box with it. All the corners are sharp and there are no stickers, markings, or punctures. All of the flaps on the lids are still attached as they should be.

One of the inner boxes is slightly crushed, like something was set on top of the outer box, but it doesn't appear as such looking from the outer box. It really appears as if someone bought it from the store, opened the box, then hid it away in a dark closet for 12 years.

Any thoughts as to whether this set has hit its ceiling or is 10% per year unrealistic?

• 1 year later...

FYI and a question:

-There are four or five manuals for this set currently for sale on Bricklink.

-Did Lego ever change the color of sand green similar to grey/bley?  I noticed that the new Hobbit sets have some sand green, but is this exactly the same color as the Statue of Liberty green?