How to figure out which are the rarer pieces of a set?

I've just bought a used Tower Bridge 10214. The set was kind of a mess when it arrived (partially dismantled, not organised at all) but I knew the risks! It also stank of smoke so I decided to completely dismantle, sort and wash the pieces to make it my own.

I'd really like to check the pieces are all there but I'm about to move overseas and don't have enough time to build it. There are about a million teeny bits (rounding up for emphasis!) and the idea of counting them makes my head hurt.

I might weigh it all and compare to a complete set's weight but I also wondered if there was a way I could just check it for rarer pieces being present - just to make sure I won't have to spend a lot of money to make it a complete set in the future if there are a few missing. 

I've not used brick link much - is there a way I can use it to figure out the most pricey parts to replace on this set? I played with it for a few mins and it's not obvious to me if this is possible...

Appreciate any advice you clever people have...

If you register on brick link then put the set number in. At the the bottom of the page it says wanted list and part out. Part out the set in to a wanted list. You can come back to it at your leisure then.once your down ticking your pieces off it will show you what you are missing

To find the most expensive parts in a set, use the part out set feature as if you were going to sell the set for parts (here's the link):

http://www.bricklink.com/invSet.asp?itemType=S&itemNo=10214-1

Pick out a pricing scheme under "Default Prices to:" and on the next screen you will be able to see the average price for any one part.  Remember to factor in shipping costs, since even "inexpensive" parts can become costly when it comes time to replace them.

• Like 1