79002 Attack of the Wargs $35 deal/no deal?

allen9917

Let me put it this way... this set seems to have gone away a little sooner than I expected, and I am regretting not having any to sit on.  I am dying to find it at $35 right now.  I think anything LotR/Hobbit is going to be worth having.  The inclusion of the Wargs only sweetens the deal.

This set hasn't been talked of all that fondly on the forums, and there are certainly valid complaints about the set itself.  That being said, as soon as panic buying kicks in and prices on amazon & ebay trend upward, plenty of people would love to be able to go back in time and grab a couple more at $35.

I'd do it!

one thing that you have to think about with all of the hobbits is the exclusivity of the various dwarves.  Though Thorin can be found in another set (I believe the Lake town chase), this is the only set you can get Bifur in.  If anyone wants to have all 13 dwarves, they will need this set.

• 9 months later...

Was at  my local wally world and they had at least 30 Attack of the Wargs for $35.  I walked away, they also had about 5 gatherings for 54.  What is the general thought on these two.  I was hoping for some expert opinions before I head back.  Thanks

The Wargs set has been gaining a little value back slowly, but since it was so heavily discounted in the past it hasn't made great strides. I would be surprised (pleasantly) if it broke $75 or $80 by next year at this time. I have trouble seeing this as a $100 set. That being said, at $35 there it might be worth your while, but there are probably better places to invest. Also, if the have that many at $35, there is a chance they could get further discounts, in which case I'd probably snap them up.

As for UG, $54 is a pretty solid price, and now is a good time to buy. There have been better deals, sure, but I (for one) have been holding some of these for over a year (just in case they EOL'ed last Christmas) and if you can get in on them at this stage in their life for that price, I'd go for it. 

Eh on Wargs. I got mine at WM for $17~ and wasn't thrilled at that. UG will be a winner and you probably won't find it much cheaper than that. (though many got them for $49)

With plenty selling in the $45 range, you can't be that upset with a $17 buy in! That and prices are rising, so even if you decide to sell them off over the next six months, you're looking at a really nice ROI%.

If you aren't happy, I'll pay for shipping and take them off your hands for what you paid for them - there is money to be made there.

I would buy wargs at $35 including anyone here that wants to ship.

As a set it isn't that great, but....

Once the hobbit/LOTR stuff goes poof where will you be able to buy a wolf/warg? I don't think it will be a $50 elephant, but the wolves alone will be $10+ sooner than later

The giant tree is great for the MOC crowd. That's a lot of tree for that price

Throw in a bunch of minifigs and I think this will do fine

A couple of my walmarts still have $35 wargs kicking around. They've been marked $35 for OVER A YEAR. It's weird. One store clearanced wave two Hobbet sets down to 50-70% off but left the Wargs at $35. Chalk that up to Walmart's stupidity. I got plenty of these set cheaper so I'm just going to wait.

• 2 weeks later...

This set is a complete stinker.  The reason that it is still sitting around on WM shelves at $35 is that no one wants to buy them, which is a clear sign that there is unlikely to be any type of demand for it on the secondary market.  I would avoid these at all cost and wish that I had done so last year.

Seriously it depends on what type of investor/seller you are. If you want to QFLL style sell tomorrow it isn't for you. If you enjoy parting not a set you can make money on it now at that price: 2 wargs, 2 orcs for army building and three more minifig that can easily flip for $5-$10 a pop. The rocks/trees are popular styles and colors for MOC crowds, what is not to like?

If you have limited storage and are expecting 100% profit from MSRP it's awful. So...depends on your style

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app