What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 8 years later...

I was one of those who steered clear of this set. I didn't buy any from walmart or lego clearance. It just goes to show that no matter how much we think we know, the market will throw a curveball at us once in awhile. Regarding Jabba, he will be just fine.

I don't want to act like I knew what I was doing, as I thought it would make a good gift for the kids at that price.  Not now, it's going in the sell pile.

Sold a Friends Adventure Camper 3184 for $60 shipped.

Sold a Friends Heartlake Flying Club for $30 shipped.

I'm going to assess the Friends line a little closer after Christmas, but I'm probably going to pick up way more Friends clearance this year.

Edited by fuzzy_bricks
  • Like 1

Sold my last of three Robie Houses last night.  Average price for each on was $283.  I was hoping to get more but one had a banged up box so what are you going to do.  Going to turn that money around and buy 6 T1 Campers this weekend cause everybody knows that the T1 Campers will retire before the R2's. :)

Hi all. Just a quick question or two for all you Canadian guys. I've been in the investing game for about 5 years now. I consider myself to be a long term investor, but have done a few local quick flips over the years. What do you guys find is the best way to ship? Using eBay? Are there any tricks or deals to be had? I just sold my first thing a couple weeks ago on eBay and because eBay told me to definitely have a tracking number, it cost me a fortune just to send a couple pieces of paper into the U.S. Of course I know it's my fault cause I offered free shipping, but let's say I'm going to sell a GE and want to compete with some of our fellow U.S. sellers...how can I with Canada Post charging me an arm and a leg just to ship it into the U.S.? What do you guys do to compete with free shipping and stuff like that? Thanks so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it. If anyone else wants to chime in, weather they're in Canada or not, I'm all ears.

• Like 1

More Mixels Series 1 sets, still at $120.

Most likely time to raise the price again, and see what happens.

I heard you can get a serious disease from hoarding mixels.

It is called Mixelitis.  The cure is for you to pack up and send me urgently all remaining series 1 & series 2 mixels you have.

It is your only hope.   hehe :)

Hi all. Just a quick question or two for all you Canadian guys. I've been in the investing game for about 5 years now. I consider myself to be a long term investor, but have done a few local quick flips over the years. What do you guys find is the best way to ship? Using eBay? Are there any tricks or deals to be had? I just sold my first thing a couple weeks ago on eBay and because eBay told me to definitely have a tracking number, it cost me a fortune just to send a couple pieces of paper into the U.S. Of course I know it's my fault cause I offered free shipping, but let's say I'm going to sell a GE and want to compete with some of our fellow U.S. sellers...how can I with Canada Post charging me an arm and a leg just to ship it into the U.S.? What do you guys do to compete with free shipping and stuff like that? Thanks so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it. If anyone else wants to chime in, weather they're in Canada or not, I'm all ears.

Hi,

You can't compete with US shipping prices unless you ship from the US so your market is greatly reduced.

Personally, I ship domestically in both the US and Canada and use the GSP when applicable. You really have to research your shipping costs in advance for Canadian shipping (a package can be $3 in the US and $10 here and $10 in the US and $20 here).

If you take items across the border, you may have to pay a user fee because you have sold items.

<mods, maybe this ought to be moved to the Canada forum section?>

What red said... Here's what I generally do:

1) If I believe there is no chance of selling it into the US due to my buy-in cost vs what people south have reported, I price for the Canadian market. So I scour the recently sold and current listings to see what the going rate is for US sellers. Also, I look at what are they charging to ship to Canada and/or are they using the GSP which makes most items over $25 just not worth it (to the educated buyer) if they can buy in Canada. And I price accordingly... usually it means I'm about 15% higher than the US sellers but I'm hoping to sell in Canada anyways.

2) For items where I've had a competitive buy in price, I just accept that I'm making a little less since everyone takes a piece of the pie. For example, I found a dozen Rovers in July at a local mom & pop toy store. My price on them was $39.58 per - I just sold one for $115. US shipped last week to a US buyer. Sure I make less than someone in the US but after exchange, shipping and fees, I took home $55. I'm happy.

3) I usually list in US funds - lately the exchange rate has been in our favour. A gamble I take as I really do believe the US buyers are more sensitive to seeing nice round numbers... Canadians are so used to shopping in the US for deals, I think you can squeeze a few extra bucks out of Canadian buyers this way.

4) ALWAYS print your labels through PayPal for parcels, and NEVER for padded envelopes! You get 10-15% off by printing through them for parcels. PayPal's envelope rate always treats it as if it's a padded envelope that won't fit through the envelope slot. Now they'll often try to get you to pay the full rate at the post office but I personally insist on shipping it as a regular mail item which usually costs between $2 and $4. It's about $12 to send a padded envelope as a parcel which is the same rate as a small box. (unless of course the contents are expensive enough that you can't afford to lose then I'd do it the parcel way as it's trackable)

And... just for good measure, I always try to sell stuff locally on Kijiji as well. I've had decent luck, even had a number of out of province buyers find my listings. Always a risk, but I've had no bad experiences meeting in a local parking lot (for expensive stuff), or at my home or mailing things out (invoicing via paypal).

Good luck!

• Like 1

That's great info, thanks for taking the time to write that all out...both of you. I figured you'd say as much, but you've given me several things to think about, and it will definitely help. Local is always the best, but I'm sure as you already know, depending on how big a city you live in, it can take quite a while to find a buyer. Anyway, still learning the "eBay selling game". Thanks for the great info!

I heard you can get a serious disease from hoarding mixels.

It is called Mixelitis.  The cure is for you to pack up and send me urgently all remaining series 1 & series 2 mixels you have.

It is your only hope.   hehe :)

Yeah, well, we cleared out two more TRUs of Series 2 Mixels today, putting together a few more sets.  My sources of Series 2 aren't completely dried up yet, so I'll continue hoarding them (until I turn into a Mixel!).

• Like 1

Yeah, well, we cleared out two more TRUs of Series 2 Mixels today, putting together a few more sets. My sources of Series 2 aren't completely dried up yet, so I'll continue hoarding them (until I turn into a Mixel!).

I have Mixelitis. BAD. Just got 40 more series 2 today to help round out a few more sets.

Edited by minicoopers11
  • Like 1

4) ALWAYS print your labels through PayPal for parcels, and NEVER for padded envelopes! You get 10-15% off by printing through them for parcels. PayPal's envelope rate always treats it as if it's a padded envelope that won't fit through the envelope slot. Now they'll often try to get you to pay the full rate at the post office but I personally insist on shipping it as a regular mail item which usually costs between $2 and $4. It's about $12 to send a padded envelope as a parcel which is the same rate as a small box. (unless of course the contents are expensive enough that you can't afford to lose then I'd do it the parcel way as it's trackable)

On the Canada Post website it says you can't send goods to the U.S. Or other international destinations via letter mail, so I've always been afraid to try, even when sending just a few pieces of Lego from my Bricklink store. But are you saying if I go to the Post Office I might be able to get away with this? Do you still get customs forms to fill out?