Hello from frigid Massachusetts

Hi, I've been lurking around for a while and finally had a chance to introduce myself and ask a question.  I've been buying some sets and putting them away to maybe flip some day.  Sets like the Batman Arkham Breakout and Batcave.  Mostly Superhero stuff but some Star Wars and LOTR.  I do have a question about some sets I bought for my kids when they were young.  We had a big tub that all the bricks ended up in and it was recently unearthed.  I thought it was lost in a move we made about 6 years ago.  This is an 18 gallon tub with what I remember to have some of the original Star Wars, Harry Potter and Spiderman sets.  Besides selling them per lb on Ebay is there any way besides finding the instructions on line and trying to piece them together to figure out what goes to what.  A master brick list or something.   I did find a Watto cast all in blue that according to Ebay may be worth a couple bucks.  Any advice would be most welcome.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

howdy I used to live in s. weymouth my sympathy for the cold goes to everyone up north.  the lego web site has almost all the instructions/ piece list for sets or bricklink.com if you want to buy a copy. through this site you can even figure out what set(s) a particular piece came from.  sounds like you'll have some time this winter to dump out the bin and have fun building.  if you get stuck posting pics of a piece will usually send members on a hunt to figure out where it came from (a game of sorts)  

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=30303&in=S

Thanks for the reply.  I'm in Halifax not far from S. Weymouth.  I figure I'm going to break the pieces down by color then by shape and get one of the instructions I know should be there.  The box weighs about 50 lbs it seems.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

with about 50 lbs either way is going to suuuuuuuuuuck.  If you're trying to make the original sets try starting with any of your uncommon pieces.  windshields anything with decals or prints. if you get stuck post a pic of the piece and we'll help.  a member that goes by eightbricks is outstanding when it come to identifying pieces from sets. he'll beat us to the punch 9 out of 10 times

I may update this thread as I go through the box if that's ok.  Just opened it to really look for the first time.  Came up with set 8383 still sealed in a badly beaten box.  Next up was a Doc Ock, intact, from set 4854 and a Hagrid from set 4865.  Not a bad start.

From what you're mentioning you should come out with some decent bank from that box. As big as a PIA as it is it sounds like it would be worth it to at least pull the bigger sets out. I've paid for a car with Harry Potter sets. Especially if you have/find the minifigs as well. Welcome to the site.

I think the Doc Ock is from set 4855 as I found the piece of the train with "Forest Hills" on it.  I have the Spidey too.  Pretty sure there's set 8097 as I found part of Boba and lots of the right color pieces.  Found instructions for 1376.  I'm pretty sure there's a Hogwarts too.  There's some miinifigs I may need some help with.  Does anyone know what set Lucious Malfoy came with?  Thanks.

I picked up Manbat attack and Riddler Chase yesterday.  They still had some.  There were a few sets in the clearance aisle but I don't remember, they were pretty unremarkable I think.  The Lego aisle is pretty well stocked which is suprising because it's a pretty crappy Walmart.  Tries to hard to be a supermarket  because of Stop and Shop next door.  They should go back to being a good Walmart.