investing in custom lego, good idea?

Citizen Brick recently came out with an "Albuquerque action squad"  minifigure pack, with the figures being based on the characters from Breaking Bad

.1388773326427-1212131629.jpeg

pic and link http://www.shop.citizenbrick.com/Albuquerque-Action-Squad-CB720571.htm

they go for 55$ and are a limited run. what do you guys think on the potential profitability of these figs? keep in mind the  Citizen Brick Breaking Bad Superlab Playset, which sold for 250$ is currently going for between 560$, and 700$ on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=superlab+playset&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

will the profits be more of the same? or was it just a one time thing?

It is a tough call.  I have never seen the series but one thing to consider is that the Superlab playset came out before the series finale.  A product going EOL with the series its tied to still going can lead to good growth.  Now that the series is over, will the popularity still stay strong?  If the series was still going, then yes it could be a good investment.  If you are a fan of the show, buy it.

Too late. The interest will fade as most big fans of the series would have already pounced on the Lab. I think it's funny the set goes for so much on eBay... it's basically a small to medium size set with around a dozen custom printed pieces plus the custom figs. I love the set and have it displayed but take out the generic red and tan pieces and you're more or less paying 500+ for a dozen printed pieces. Crazy.

The minifigures are never as "limited" a run as the sets, either. Just my .02...

EDIT - Don't want to seem like I'm dismissing CB's work, I'm not. It's phenomenal and they are the best designer of custom pieces you will find. :)

• Like 1

There is always going to be a possibility for another reason other than just their popularity:

How many people are reselling them?

The answer is - probably not that many. IN that case, if their limited quantity depletes, later on you can command whatever price you want on Ebay with BIN because there aren't many (or any) listed. 

It is sort of the same thing I do with new sets I part out, or sets I am parting out that have no listings. If no one is selling them, my prices are much higher because I am not competing.

People will look for these later. How many people? Don't know. But, you can list them for 100$ and maybe they will eventually sell.

The new figures don't have a note anywhere on the site saying how many were made so it's difficult to know if demand will exceed supply.  Previous CB minifigs did have "limited to 250" etc  (even though they broke that with a second run on the chemistry enthusiast figs).

Highly risky as a long term investment, as CB can just release more if demand is huge.  You could take a risk and try and buy some and resell during the out of stock phase, but to me there are better ways to invest your Lego money at present. 

My figs shipped yesterday, can't wait to add them to my lab :D

• Like 1

It is a tough call.  I have never seen the series but one thing to consider is that the Superlab playset came out before the series finale.  A product going EOL with the series its tied to still going can lead to good growth.  Now that the series is over, will the popularity still stay strong?  If the series was still going, then yes it could be a good investment.  If you are a fan of the show, buy it.

The series is over but Netflix is supposedly going to air a spinoff "Better Call Saul"