Difference in prices between Usa and Europe

Hi all. I am new to this forum and just came out of my dark years. For the last 3 months I've tried to grab all the sets I could before they were discontinued, (at the cost of makin' my wife mad, but that's another topic :D).Considering I am Italian (and I work for an Italian company, so I earn euros) but I live in Japan, I could partially benefit of the huge rise of the european currency compared to the yen (currently the euro-yen exchange is more or less 1:144,5). Anyway. I noticed from the start that lego in Usa are considerably cheaper that in the rest of the world. Still, Lego seemed to somehow fix prices according to the different currencies, at least to a certain extent. A set costing 9,99 euros in Europe was 11 or 12 dollars in the Usa (still cheaper in the Usa, but you get the point). This pattern seems to have gone with the new 2014 sets. The Lego Movie sets, for example. "Super Cycle chase" costs 49,99 dollars in the USa and 49,99 euros in Italy and the rest of the euro area. Same goes for all the new 2014 sets. Did anybody else notice that? This really makes a HUGE difference in price compared to the Usa. We are speaking of a 35% difference (or more) in the retail price, and that goes without considering the HUGE discounts that people seem to be able to enjoy in the Us. Now, did anybody else notice this sudden rise to a 1:1 retail prices ratio in Usa and Europe? Or am I wrong? Has it happened before?

Thanks for the replies, for this very informative community and forgive my poor English

Hi Shinigami, welcome to the site!

Another member, Grolim, has done an extensive study on the subject, read his blog over here:

http://www.brickpicker.com/comparing-lego-retail-purchase-prices-across-regions/

Two conclusions came out:

1. There are differences in tax policies between countries that contribute to the price differences. This, by the way is also Lego's official explanation. "When comparing prices for LEGO sets in different countries, please be aware that country-specific factors play a part. These are outside of our control (i.e. differences in value-added tax) and contribute to products being offered at different prices in different countries.")

Be aware that the U.S. prices are listed before tax is added and E.U. prices have tax included, so the actual difference is a little smaller than it might seem. Still U.S. sales tax is significantly lower (varies per state but under 10%) than value added tax in the E.U. (varies per country but above 20%).

2. As you can see in Grolim's article there is a difference per theme. Licensed theme's such as Star Wars, Lord of the Rings etc. are significantly cheaper in the U.S. than in Europe, while the European prices are a little more favorable with themes such as City, Technic and Creator (expert).

Why the licensed themes are so much more expensive than in the U.S. is a mystery (to me at least). It might have something to do with the markets, or maybe Lego just produces these sets in their Mexican factory only and it's a transportation thing.

Finally, I do look in envy to all the good discount deals the American members mention here, but there are also ways in Europe to buy below retail price. Most European Amazon sites sell at around 20%-30% below Lego's recommended retail price and the regular stores also have seasonal discounts. For example I managed to get a 10228 Haunted House for about 35% off last october.

Happy hunting!