$97.00 for a Batcave?!? When did Amazon start doing this?!?

Doofy McGee

When did Amazon start price gouging like this?  It used to be that you could count on them to always have stuff at or below MSRP.  Target has started doing this too.  Before the Hulk officially retired and was removed from the website, they were asking $64.99 for it.  What gives?

They probably jacked up the price because they knew that people were going to buy it at almost any price and no other online retailers have it for MSRP. This usually happens around the holidays.

I don't blame them. Honestly I think it's Healthy for the secondary market. They don't always have to hand you things on a silver platter.

What you say is true, I can't argue that.  But it was definitely an unpleasant surprise.  Hopefully they only do this with stuff that nearing the end of the road.  If Amazon stops offering things at great prices on a regular basis, the way I do things changes entirely.  And I'm guessing I'm not alone on that one.

When did Amazon start price gouging like this?  It used to be that you could count on them to always have stuff at or below MSRP.  Target has started doing this too.  Before the Hulk officially retired and was removed from the website, they were asking $64.99 for it.  What gives?

They have been doing it for a while now gradually and with certain items across the board. I figure they do simply for the same reason as Toys R Us; because they can.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually think this helps the secondary market.  Rather than letting the sets trickle up slowly in price, the retailers are setting it at a higher price nearly as soon as retirement hits.  If you bought the Batcave on sale during the holiday season you have nearly doubled your returns.  When people go to retailers and see the price is XZY over retail, remember most consumers have no idea what actual retail prices are, they don't mind paying that same price and slightly hire is the secondary market when that retailer is out of stock.  While it might take a bit longer to weed out the retailers and start buying from ebay...the price jump to me is worth the extra month of two before they run out.  Hope that makes sense...

I actually think this helps the secondary market.  Rather than letting the sets trickle up slowly in price, the retailers are setting it at a higher price nearly as soon as retirement hits.  If you bought the Batcave on sale during the holiday season you have nearly doubled your returns.  When people go to retailers and see the price is XZY over retail, remember most consumers have no idea what actual retail prices are, they don't mind paying that same price and slightly hire is the secondary market when that retailer is out of stock.  While it might take a bit longer to weed out the retailers and start buying from ebay...the price jump to me is worth the extra month of two before they run out.  Hope that makes sense...

Yep all the sudden my $110 Batcave does not look so bad compared to Amazon's $97 (especially if you pay sales tax on Amazon purchases)

It is still selling for close to $98 on Amazon but is back in stock at LEGO S&**** for $69.99, so this looks like a temporary price spike.  Still, encouraging to see a nice price spike when supplies run short.  Points to good legs once it is actuall EOL.