LEGO Bin Type Storage - Really Useful Boxes / Collapse LEGO Boxes

I was at an Office Depot the other day and happened to peruse through the whole store and came across storage containers by Really Useful Boxes. Hadn't seem theem before. They are high quality bin type storage with lids and handles in all shapes and sizes and several colors. I mean all shapes and sizes....Office files, shoes, cd/dvds, LPs, down to button collection. I mean they had a nice assortment. I immediately thought wow, I miss the days of big plastic containers with all my loose LEGO. Shifting LEGO around to find the piece you need. Also I have a new baby in the house, and I have been wanting to put LEGO out of site for a couple years. So I am in the market for a good LEGO bulk storage system. One where I could say store the pieces of Statue of Liberty, Darth Maul and Yoda sculptures all in one bucket. Anyone use these boxes for LEGO or other things? Just about all of my LEGO sets were not purchased for selling and I am kind of tired of letting many many larges empty LEGO boxes take up so much closet space. I was considering folding them down which could preserve the box itself (maybe even better than "built"). This would onyl work on the recent sets, not ones with a thick siding. BUt most set made since about 2007 look collapsable. Was wondering if I could get some thoughts on Really Useful Boxes and folding LEGO boxes...

Just think through your usage first. If you will be getting into them often then drawers, if long term storage then boxes that seal. Are you going to be moving them? Then not open bins. In any case I prefer clear boxes because labels can sometimes fall off or be hard to see.

Like what Talon said, it depends on general use.

For myself, I use Sterilite drawers. Specifically this. Each drawer is a really good size, the 'shell' can easily be taken apart for stacking or clean up, and I use each set of three to sort out different kinds of pieces in one color. I can buy a set of three for about $11 each at Target in store.

My use is more for easy building access than storage, which may be different than yours.

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up two of these units to help with my organization and storage issues. I have loose pieces all over the place. Almost 50% off so the price was right http://www.amazon.com/IRIS-6-Case-Workstation-Storage-Plates/dp/B0031P85VC?SubscriptionId=AKIAJQSYTIGRBKVM26KQ&&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0031P85VC

My first post!!

So true..depends on your sorting style. I am seperating every piece. I have been using these:

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-2-3700-Prolatch-Stowaway-four/dp/B007N5ZULO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1353210882&sr=8-2&keywords=plano+3700

I then contact the plano customer service and they sent me enough deviders to seperate each containers 42 sections. Thier support is great!

Thanks,

ronlegonut

For my kid's room I use the Trofast storage bins with the wall mount unit from Ikea. Link: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=Trofast They have a variety of sizes to suit your needs. The boxes are nice quality and look the type that don't crack easily. Miro