UPS: Package stolen from front porch.

spener90

That sucks.  Good luck.

I live in a sub division out in the middle of nowhere.  There are 600 homes.  Every other day someone is complaining about packages stolen.  Doesn't matter if it's USPS, UPS, FedEx.

No one has been able to figure out if it's the carriers or someone else.  But, people are actually home all day, get the text message that it's been delivered, but there's nothing waiting for them.

Edit to add:  There are lots of similar street names (e.***., Park Drive, Park Circle, Park Court, Orange St, Orange Ave, etc) and lots of similar house numbers.  We'll have stuff delivered to 1234 Orange Ave, when it should be delivered to 1234 Park Ave, too.

The real question is why the package wasn't already a sig confirmation.

I had it happen a bunch at my old apartment even though I put up a sign and called the offices asking them not to leave them on my doorstep since I lived next to Ghettosville, but they wouldn't do anything.

I then put a note on my front door saying "If you leave the package on the doorstep instead of taking it to the apartment front office or leaving a notice, you therefor are taking responsibility for any loss incurred". It also had a few choice words inserted in there.

never had one left on my porch again.

• Like 1

The real question is why the package wasn't already a sig confirmation.

I had it happen a bunch at my old apartment even though I put up a sign and called the offices asking them not to leave them on my doorstep since I lived next to Ghettosville, but they wouldn't do anything.

I then put a note on my front door saying "If you leave the package on the doorstep instead of taking it to the apartment front office or leaving a notice, you therefor are taking responsibility for any loss incurred". It also had a few choice words inserted in there.

never had one left on my porch again.

They probably kicked your package a few extra times though!

I would rather have them make me sign.  Especially on the more expensive ones.

Its a pain in the ass .. and also if you arnt home they will have to come back just sucks. Who would steal your shitt off the porch assuming you dont live in the ghetto. I have had 10-20 boxes sitting on my pouch for a few hours and never get anything stolen

My UPS driver, (who is a regular visitor to my house) leaves them behind the bushes so nobody can see them unless you are at my front door....I haven't had to sign for anything at all this holiday season.

The lack of signature almost screwed me when I had used my old address for a PS4 preorder... 3 PS3s were delivered to my old house, I had a heart attack! 

Also, If your getting packages regularly delivered to your house, a security camera would be a good idea. They make cheap systems or if you like to DIY you can get IP cameras and set them to record on motion up with zoneminder. You can then view them from your phone when you are away...

At least this way would know for sure what actually happened to the package. 

Also, If your getting packages regularly delivered to your house, a security camera would be a good idea. They make cheap systems or if you like to DIY you can get IP cameras and set them to record on motion up with zoneminder. You can then view them from your phone when you are away...

At least this way would know for sure what actually happened to the package. 

You beat me to it. I was just about to say that. This happend to my Dad and he installed a cheap wireless camera with a motion detector which would send him the photos to his email. Its a pain in the ass with all the emails but very effective.

That's a complete pain, Spener, I'm so sorry. Check back in and tell us what happens, will you? I've not had this happen (knock wood) and would like to know what, if anything, UPS or the seller will do about it. Don't forget to file a police report!

I like the camera idea a lot. We live in a good neighborhood with neighbors who look out for each other, but this can happen anywhere. I'm a bit fanatical about checking my tracking to see what day packages are going to be delivered, and then checking the front porch a lot on those days. We also have two of three delivery companies trained to ring the doorbell when they deliver packages (USPS is impossible, I just barely have my guy trained NOT throw the packages as hard as he can to the porch from his truck...)

The other thing is, at this time of year there are a lot of temp drivers and drivers helping other people out... I know my UPS driver would not confuse my address for someone else, but a temporary driver would be a completely different story.

I don't know what your neighborhood is like but it may be more likely that it was delivered to someone else, particularly at this time of the year. 

There have been reports of people following the drivers, waiting for them to pull away, and then running up and stealing packages. They could basically follow them all day and score big, as long as nobody sees them. My neighbor left stuff out front for a FedEx pickup and his camera caught two girls walking up to his door, taking them, and then just walking away. He printed her close-up picture which is pretty clear and then posted them all over the mailboxes in our area.

I had my Ipad Air stolen from my porch after being delivered by UPS about a month ago. The retailer sent out another one with signature confirmation and it arrived just fine. UPS now requires a signature for every delivery to my house. My UPS driver just gave me a bunch of sticky signature post its and I just leave one on the door if I am not going to be home. Works for me.

The other thing is, at this time of year there are a lot of temp drivers and drivers helping other people out... I know my UPS driver would not confuse my address for someone else, but a temporary driver would be a completely different story.

I don't know what your neighborhood is like but it may be more likely that it was delivered to someone else, particularly at this time of the year. 

I had this happen.  The main FedEx driver was sick, and the substitute driver delivered my yoyo.com package to the wrong address.  It was frustrating and a waste of time to sort it out.

Has this happened to anyone? I just had an $800 package stolen. I am working with UPS now, but it says it was delivered.

This also worries me. For sets that are more than $100, I require delivery signature on shipping. Why? A friend had a $xx,xxx.xx check from Merrill Lynch company (stock options sold) and the back-up FedEx guy just left the envelope on his porch (not even in his mail box). Luckily, my friend saw the truck leave and was able to finally catch the check after chasing it for 3 mins (the wind below away the envelope).

Good luck.