How do you go about creating a MOC?

stephen_rockefeller

I'd probably start by playing around with Lego digital designer which you can dowload for free - it can be a bit clunky to navigate part selection but is also fairly simple. I recommend orienting yourself to creating groups of bricks (such as 1st floor, 2nd floor etc) otherwise it can be tedious moving parts if you realise you've made a mistake or need something different but still want to keep what you've done. As for how you go about reproducing i guess depends on how specific you want to be with scale and likeness as to how detailed it can get. As i posted in an earlier thread about custom instructions I found it really useful to just google modular mocs and do screen shots of every building technique or profile I came across that I liked - I have 85 pages full of pics now and it really gives some great exposure to different techniques/usage of different bricks etc. I also found this pdf doc called the "Unofficial advanced LEGO building techniques guide" floating around the internet which would probably give some help with tricky bits of the building - let me know if you can't find it and I will email it to you. goodluck

Yup - sticking with just the outside is easiest. But I wouldn't necessarily start with creating the footprint of the building just yet. I'd take photos - especially of the details that you really want to replicate and then try to look at them with LEGO pieces in mind - sometimes its easier to build the details such as an arch or decorative column etc and muck about with them first to see what scale you are able to reproduce them in before you build the actual walls etc as this will obviously impact on the size of your building

Can someone tell me in fairly simple terms how you go about creating a MOC, for example if I was wanting to build a MOC of the building(s) I work in. I have never built a set before let alone a MOC. Can it even be explained in words? Pardon my ignorance here.

This would be sweet, I've always thought about doing something like this, but it seems so tough in terms of acquiring all the separate pieces, etc. I'm currently building a Lego city using the actual Lego Modulars, Haunted House, trains, and winter sets. The only things I'm MOC'ing are trees/plants, rock ledges, snow, and a couple other small things. This is my first major layout I've ever done so unfortunately I can't offer much advice, but I can wish you good luck man! And be sure to post some photos later down the road when you get done :)

This would be sweet, I've always thought about doing something like this, but it seems so tough in terms of acquiring all the separate pieces, etc. I'm currently building a Lego city using the actual Lego Modulars, Haunted House, trains, and winter sets. The only things I'm MOC'ing are trees/plants, rock ledges, snow, and a couple other small things. This is my first major layout I've ever done so unfortunately I can't offer much advice, but I can wish you good luck man! And be sure to post some photos later down the road when you get done :)

LOL it will be a long long time before I attempt something like this, I wont attempt it until I know that i will be able to create something that will turn heads, and since i have never built anything I figure its quite a long term goal My ultimate goal is to have it displayed in a glass case in the lobby of my building, one can dream cant he??

This would be sweet, I've always thought about doing something like this, but it seems so tough in terms of acquiring all the separate pieces, etc. I'm currently building a Lego city using the actual Lego Modulars, Haunted House, trains, and winter sets. The only things I'm MOC'ing are trees/plants, rock ledges, snow, and a couple other small things. This is my first major layout I've ever done so unfortunately I can't offer much advice, but I can wish you good luck man! And be sure to post some photos later down the road when you get done

LOL it will be a long long time before I attempt something like this, I wont attempt it until I know that i will be able to create something that will turn heads, and since i have never built anything I figure its quite a long term goal My ultimate goal is to have it displayed in a glass case in the lobby of my building, one can dream cant he??

I have faith, you can do it!

Good luck with your building MOC! Besides LEGO's Digital Designer, there's the freeware program LDraw. This is the program that the "Space Marines" project designer used for his creations. Have not had a chance to try it out myself just yet, been a bit preoccupied.

I've only tried a few times in my entire life to create a building MOC. They require so many pieces! I've always been more of an "everything else" kind of a guy. You may need specific parts for a spacecraft or race car but only a few whereas a building takes a lot. Generic ones usually but still. Ah well, good building anyway!