BOGO 50% Return

Pseudoty

I purchased a BOGO 50% this weekend online Farnsworth House was $60 and the Seaside House was $50 promo marked down to $25 Total $85 that I used $50 in coinstar money towards and $35 on Paypal.

Newb here and looked but did not see this but when I purchase BOGO in the store the discount is split between the two items. It was not online the discount was all on the SH. So I figured I would see what I would get on a return of the FH tonight. I got the full $60 on a gift card. I even asked the associate and she said it was because I used paypal? Is this normal and if so why not just buy and return one all the time, morals, they can ban you, or am I missing something?

Best part is they had 2 HD in for $165 that they price matched online for $129 and I purchased them separately to get another $25 off each but the Wendy's promo would not work with price match they said.

I purchased a BOGO 50% this weekend online Farnsworth House was $60 and the Seaside House was $50 promo marked down to $25 Total $85 that I used $50 in coinstar money towards and $35 on Paypal.

Newb here and looked but did not see this but when I purchase BOGO in the store the discount is split between the two items. It was not online the discount was all on the SH. So I figured I would see what I would get on a return of the FH tonight. I got the full $60 on a gift card. I even asked the associate and she said it was because I used paypal? Is this normal and if so why not just buy and return one all the time, morals, they can ban you, or am I missing something?

Best part is they had 2 HD in for $165 that they price matched online for $129 and I purchased them separately to get another $25 off each but the Wendy's promo would not work with price match they said.

I assume you are talking about TRU? My receipts from TRU usually have a "return value" on them to prevent this. This is normally wrong, and not really something I would try and do because it feels wrong.

With that being said, if you asked and they let you, what are you gonna do? lol. But I definitely don't think its normal.

I would deem this as a shady practice. Unless you decided to build the set/part it out and upon opening discovered pieces missing and wanted to return it (though an exchange seems more practical), I`d say it is wrong. Very different from coupon stacking, where the coupons either work or don`t at the till whilst paying, this is like going back to the store to get additional changes made to your transaction. Just a weird way to go about it, and I would not do it for that reason. 

All of my TRU purchars are tied to my rewardd card so if youre using the reward program you get back exactly what you paid. If youtr not using the reeard system youre missing out on legit free money.

Key word being legitamite...but hey to each their own...Im not judging anyones actions in this game.

Yes this was at TRU. Yes I have a rewards card. The receipt did not have a return value on it but a barcode. I don't recall if she scanned it or not she looked stressed and I had a long day at work.

I re read my post and it does sound like I was working the system but I was going to return FH regardless of the amount since I picked up a United Nations from the lego store and built it. I realy like the look of the UN finished product and gave it a great review but it cured my curiosity for the archetecture line.

I was just trying to learn the strategies people use sorry to offend

Yes this was at TRU. Yes I have a rewards card. The receipt did not have a return value on it but a barcode. I don't recall if she scanned it or not she looked stressed and I had a long day at work.

I re read my post and it does sound like I was working the system but I was going to return FH regardless of the amount since I picked up a United Nations from the lego store and built it. I realy like the look of the UN finished product and gave it a great review but it cured my curiosity for the archetecture line.

I was just trying to learn the strategies people use sorry to offend

You didn't offend anyone - believe me there are some things I do or did everyday that I realized later on were kind of ridiculous once people pointed them out. Lol. Happens to all of us.

You shouldn't only worry about it if you don't see the problem with things like that. ha.

If you're making this a habit or ordering things with this as your intent then I'd deem that shady. However sometimes retailers systems are set up to do what they do and even if you just honestly wanted to return it they couldn't make it return for a "fair" price. 

I worked at Lowes Home Improvement for a couple of years as a cashier and customer service rep and I ran the return desk a lot. Their system had a way to manually change the price of an item when returning it but most cashiers didn't know how to do it. A good example is they would have open box and clearance items that the manager would write a different price on the box with sharpie and a manger would have to override the price. But if you returned that set without receipt it would ring up the regular price. My wife bought one such item, a faucet that retailer for $60 or so and the manager marked it down to $15 for her. We ended up getting another faucet and she tried to return it without the receipt (because she honestly lost it). The cashier told her she would get $60 and change back on a merch credit and my wife pointed out that she paid $15 and the cashier shrugged and said she didn't know how to change it so she was still getting $60.