Camcorder Advice

boxofcorey

Most good digital cameras (especially SLR variants) take great video. You don't really need a camcorder IMHO.

And the fact is, if you've got a smartphone you'll end up using it 99% of the time anyways because:

1) kids are faster than you.

2) kids do things worth recording on their own schedule.

3) kids are faster than you.

4) kids don't repeat or redo the really good stuff.

5) kids are faster than you.

:) 

Our Canon Rebel SLR takes great videos In HD.

Just know if you go the DSLR route you probably won't have near the dummy proof auto focus that you get from a camcorder. But if you're up to a little more work for better quality you'll get more for your money by buying a DSLR or compact like a EOS-M or Powershot Gxx (G10 or better)

Guest eightbrick

Well, first of all, congratulations! :) I don't really know much about camcorders specifically but I would think for most occasions a simple compact should do the job. I use a Canon Powershot SX240 HS and love it because it has full HD video, a bunch of fun auto modes, a killer zoom for a compact but also the ability to do some things manually like focus etc. Works great for me, and I can bring it pretty much anywhere easily. If you plan on taking it in rough situations a waterproof/shockproof one might be good, I think Olympus is a good brand.