I have had to increase postage costs by 10%

CNH1974

That is not a boast, I say that with a heavy heart. This is due to ebay's "new" policy of charging final value fees on all items. This was talked about a few months ago and I read the ebay statement at the time It said it only applied to business users. But checking my account today they are charging all sellers the same. I have writen them an email of complaint - which will be ignored - citing this example.

Auction:

50 Vintage lego wheels. Selling price

I agree that the Final Value Fee charged on shipping is pretty lame.  I understand the theory behind it- it was to cut down on the people charging astronomical shipping charges b/c they could pocket that money without paying the FVF charged on item cost.  I remember the days when every other $5 item had a $20 or more shipping charge (I still check the shipping charges on any item first, out of habit).  I don't miss the shipping scammers, but I don't like a FVF on my shipping either.

Here's a problem have with the system.  I pay for USPS shipping through Ebay, so Ebay has proof that those postage costs aren't part of my net profits.  If they insist on charging a shipping FVF, I wish they would remove my actual postage costs from my item shipping charges before assessing fees.  It seems like that system would be a little more fair- prevent shipping scammers, but without passing on unnecessary costs to sellers. 

I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to happen, though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A follow up to this rant I had at Ebay. Below is my original angry email (bottom) and their response. Interestingly they use the word "confused". When reading please substitute "bloody furious". 

Hello Colin,

Thank you for writing back to eBay Customer Support with regards to fees charged to your account.

I understand how this fees reflecting on your account is confusing on your part. Please be assured that I will do my best to explain this for you up to my limits as we always want our valuable members to have pleasant experience on eBay.

Colin, I would like to inform your that eBay have made some changes in the fees structure from 4th September. eBay will be charging 10% of Final Value Fee on postage. But let me share a good news that as a goodwill gesture I have arranged credit for final value fee credit on postage for these items, as you were unaware about it.

To confirm that the credit has been posted to your account, please view the account status page in an itemised manner. Here's how to check credits issued to your account:

1. Go to My eBay > Account > Seller Account.
2. Click 'credits' under Seller Account Summary.

Tip: You can sort your account activity by date, fee type or item number.

This page shows fees and credits since your last invoice. Credits are shown with a minus (-) sign. You can see the subtotal for an item by sorting your account status page by item number.

Further, I would like to share that this changes were already announced on the announcement board on 5th August. You can also go through the below given link to know more about the changes.

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/uk/201308.shtml#2013-08-05115342

I can understand that you don