7965 - Millennium Falcon

johncrumpton

A 10 lb scale will be good for almost everything a beginner can need.

Oh definitely plan on being around a long time. I have already learned a ton from you all. Somebody's got to give you a run for your money!

A scale is definitely in my list of supply needs. Tired of guesstimating shipping. Good advice. Walking the package right up to the counter would be way better.

Edited by Yinchuan

Btw guys, my rant wasn't toward anyone in particular. I'm just a passionate Star Wars fan. And my rant was primarily my opinion towards the current Lego R2D2. It's not high at all on my priority list, compared to the spaceships/vehicles. Cool vehicles, I'm totally on board with being great investments. Love the Falcon, love the Slave 1, SSD, DS etc.

OT stuff is great. It's been great for years. That's because it's been the only thing we've got.

But the times are changing now that we're not going to be limited to just the OT stuff. I believe the new generation of fans will focus more on the new movie stuff. We the OT generation, are on the way out. The new SW generation is about to emerge. Disney paid Billions of dollars to acquire The Star Wars Franchise. You know they're gonna be cranking out movies well beyond this new upcoming trilogy. No 16 or 10 year long gaps in between. The OT stuff will always hold a special place in our hearts. But we're the last of a dying breed.

I don't agree at all. My kids (8, 6 and 3) love it all, OT, prequels, CW, and now Rebels. They have Lego sets that run the gamut.

The new stuff builds on the old, not replaces it.

My 8 year old received the 7965 from Santa last Christmas, just what he wanted.

I have collected OT Star Wars since 1991, and since about 1993 it has always been in demand.

Edited by JDLego324
  • Like 2

The new SW generation is about to emerge. Disney paid Billions of dollars to acquire The Star Wars Franchise. You know they're gonna be cranking out movies well beyond this new upcoming trilogy. 

Don't really want to get into the SW debate.

Just wanted to point out that Disney throwing money at something does not necessarily guarantee it is going to be good. Sure, Disney keeps scoring pots of gold (like Frozen to name the last one that comes to mind) but they also have had huge fiascos like John Carter and Lone ranger. Those last two were notoriously expensive... 

I don't agree at all. My kids (8, 6 and 3) love it all, OT, prequels, CW, and now Rebels. They have Lego sets that run the gamut.

The new stuff builds on the old, not replaces it.

My 8 year old received the 7965 from Santa last Christmas, just what he wanted.

I have collected OT Star Wars since 1991, and since about 1993 it has always been in demand.

OT Star Wars (sets?) since 1991 ?????

• The new generation will like OT just as much as the new trilogy. Part of the story, they will watch them. 
  • Parents are more likely to buy stuff/pay more if they recognise it. Emotional attachment is important.
  • Regarding UCS sets we won't see any from the new movies in the first few years. LEGO will evaluate their success first. Until then old vehicles are much less risk and still sell just as well or even more.
  • The new movies will get a balanced share from the play sets aimed at children, but because of aforementioned reasons OT sets won't disappear. At least we will be able to always count on the iconic stuff (MF, X-Wing, AT-AT, ISD, etc.) if not on the more obscure ones (B-Wing). 
  • What you must not forget is that LEGO will always exploit lingering demand. They are monitoring websites, blogs and forums. They are responding to that demand. If anybody thinks that the recent UCS-s in flashy boxes are the Sandcrawler and Slave I by coincidence is a fool. Rumors about the next big UCS being an AT-AT. They know that they can't release them as IDEAS, but that project signals demand and they just release them as regular sets. This shows that they are responding. So even if there will be some small draught of OT sets in the future people will surely complain about it and LEGO will just release some MF or whatever to cash in. 
  • If I want to play the role of the Prophet of Doom then my forecast is that the EP I-III stuff will suffer only significantly, but not to complete disappearance either. It is considered inferior, little to no emotional attachment and just simply uncool. Key parts will return from time to time though, like Darth Maul for instance.
  • Like 2

Btw guys, my rant wasn't toward anyone in particular. I'm just a passionate Star Wars fan. And my rant was primarily my opinion towards the current Lego R2D2. It's not high at all on my priority list, compared to the spaceships/vehicles. Cool vehicles, I'm totally on board with being great investments. Love the Falcon, love the Slave 1, SSD, DS etc.

OT stuff is great. It's been great for years. That's because it's been the only thing we've got.

But the times are changing now that we're not going to be limited to just the OT stuff. I believe the new generation of fans will focus more on the new movie stuff. We the OT generation, are on the way out. The new SW generation is about to emerge. Disney paid Billions of dollars to acquire The Star Wars Franchise. You know they're gonna be cranking out movies well beyond this new upcoming trilogy. No 16 or 10 year long gaps in between. The OT stuff will always hold a special place in our hearts. But we're the last of a dying breed.

50 years from now, people will still be talking about the OT movies, especially the first one. Its impact on western culture has been very significant.

I doubt as many people will be talking about the next series of movies in much the same way in 50 years time. There will simply be no comparison.

Sure, the kids might be more into it, for a few months at least until the next 5 minute hype comes along to distract them. But it certainly wont ever overtake the significance of the OT in terms of iconic status. And, most importantly, to toy collectors.

Modern movies just don't have the same impact as they did back then. Just like no pop group will ever have the same impact of the Beatles ever again. It's not just a generational thing, it's a cultural thing.

Well, I feel that January is a month of impasse for sets like the 7965 as it is the post Christmas chill out combined with the sold out but reduced Price tag on the Lego web.

When Lego do finally retire it and people receive their next pay cheques then there should be a gradual rise in demand followed by a sudden fall when the new one is released followed by another spike when the movie comes out. By then it should also have become quite scarce

OT Star Wars (sets?) since 1991 ?????

I was speaking more generally, for example:

swpic_zpsdd439c7d.jpg

To keep things on topic, I believe this set has growth potential, even if an episode 7 MF is released.

If another OT MF is released, well, it will depend on how well it is liked.  I really like the 7965 version of the MF.  It's a great model and was a lot of fun to build.

Edited by JDLego324

I was speaking more generally, for example:

swpic_zpsdd439c7d.jpg

To keep things on topic, I believe this set has growth potential, even if an episode 7 MF is released.

If another OT MF is released, well, it will depend on how well it is liked.  I really like the 7965 version of the MF.  It's a great model and was a lot of fun to build.

:shocked:

-woah. That's a nice looking collection.  

Also its funny how we go nuts for  Lego sets selling for two to THREE times retail.

What are the ratios on those bad boys? $1.79 to ............$1790 :)

My personal favorite vintage item is a POTF Tatooine Skiff in perfect sealed condition from the collection of Steven Sansweet WITH provenance. I'd like to get it graded some day for protection but hate the thought of mailing it..........twice

Edited by mudcatsfan

Checking out a few Canadian online retailers and it looks like Playvaluetoys has 15-20 in stock and Toy R Us has 10 (at $20 above MSRP)

Everybody else is out. None at Walmart, Mastermind, Chapters, Sears, FutureShop, BestBuy.

I think she is done. .... or this is just low inventory thanks to Christmas and everyone will get happily restocked and this will kick around for another year and nothing to see here folks.

(true story, before I came out of my dark ages and would pass by the lego shelves pretty much ignoring them all the only set that I ever actually picked up and thought about purchasing was this one. Why? Because it was big and it was the freak'****** Millennium Falcon!!! Dark Ages Me has a lot more in common with most Lego buyers than current Lego Investor Me. IMO this set will do really well after it retires. )