Where have you gotten lucky the most???

Hey guys. About a month back I was at my local Walmart getting some yogurt. A quick stroll down the Lego aisle and low and behold a lone Wampa Cave sat on the shelf mixed in with the Rancor pits. I snatched it up and even better still when I price checked it it came up 9.99 :D

So I'm curious guys, where have you been lucky enough to find a retired set and what was your most bad-@$$ find???

The title of this topic sounds a bit dirty................................................... :jig:

When I read the forum topic at first I thought the same thing. Hopefully nobody here is getting lucky at Walmart. That's gross. Anyway, this past summer at a local mom and pop I came across two slave I's. They were still at retail($80), but they had a coupon for 20% off one lego set which they let me use on both sets, so they came down to $60. Not a huge score, but they are going for $150 right now so I'll take it.

I have had more luck finding insane clearance over retired sets still in stock somewhere. 20 weathertops for $18.50 each and 31 two face chases for $21 each are probably my two best finds thus far. I should do well on those when I start selling them next year.

You can definitely go slumming at Walmart and get lucky, especially in towns with young professionals.  I prefer jazz bars and hotel bars in my heydays.  Nightclubs is too loud for you to talk. 

As far as Lego, Target and Walmart have equal chance of you getting lucky.  If somebody returns something from ages ago, you'll be able to find some stuff.  Plus, especially during the holiday they actually clear out their warehouse outback.  One member found some Queen Anne's revenge over the weekend.  Somebody can also have hid items from last year and didn't come back to pick them up.  My best find ever had to be 8 Black Pearls sitting at the Walmart clearance for 49 apiece.  That was better than getting lucky with some sk**k.  

• Like 1

Both Walmart and Target can have insane blow-outs.  My biggest discounts this year were probably the 12 Unexpected Gatherings for $15 each at Walmart, and 7 LOTR Pirate Ship Ambush for $30 each at Target.  As far as retired sets, I randomly found a Dino Trex set for $35 at Target just a few weeks ago.  

A few of us "got lucky" using walmart and target.com by getting retired Potter Castles, Black Pearls, Maserak trains, etc.. at or below retail earlier this yr.  They would randomy appear on the web sites at 3AM-5AM.

Then we had some eBay deals. 

Pretty much, 100% luck by being in the right spot at the right time.

right now on TRU's website in USA, they have a cyber monday/tuesday special.  First of all, its a miracle but they lowered prices to MSRP on most items and have allowed BOGO to stack.  This works out wonders for the Dynamic Duo Funhouse escape which comes out to be $30 each, maybe even cheaper with all the bonus geoffery bucks bonus for the holiday. when I phoned in about pick up,The lady at the store said they'd honor some other bonus too, sounded like a gift card or something.

$30 or less for Dynamic Duo Funhouse is a pretty good deal considering its eol potential..  with some gift card action!

You have to be quick on your feet and know the trends a little.

like others have said, insane blowout deals happen such as right now during the holidays and at various times during the year at Walmart and target usually after a holiday.

with some sets you can get lucky and they double or triple mssrp right away which is huge returns when bought on sale!  see Ninjago Ice dragon attack, Imperial Flagship, Harry Potter, and Superheroes...